Logo

Evinrude starting problem

A

Alan L.

" I have a 1993 Evinrude 175hp

" I have a 1993 Evinrude 175hp and the problem started when after launching and idling for a few minutes the motor cut out and wouldn't restart.Occassionally after some time(15 min.) it would restart but then cut-out either immediately or when throttle increased in gear and finally did start and run for the rest of the day.Then, the next couple of times out the engine worked fine until it happened again and now am unable to restart.After a day I tried again and it tried to fire twice at first but wouldn't start and then would no longer fire(just turns over).Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. "

" Alan,

The first t

" Alan,

The first thing to do, in a situation like that, is determine whether you are dealing with a fuel or ignition problem. The easiest thing to check is spark, so start there. A spark tester helps (available for about $5.00 at an auto-parts store), but if it is not available, pull the plugs out, re-connect the wires to them and let the plugs dangle against a metal surface, or use aligator clips from the edge of the thread to the block, so that they will be grounded. Crank the engine over and observe that there is (or isn't) spark.. it should also be strong spark, a spark tester will actually allow you to measure it. Oh.. and if you do get spark, double check to be sure the engine still will not run, sometimes things are intermittant.

If there is spark, the problem you are dealing with is most likely fuel. It's probably going to be something central to the carbs, else the engine would probably run rough, or at least fire for a bit. I think there are two fuel pumps in that beast (if there is only one it could be that), so it should be before the fuel pump. Check for good fuel flow to the pumps, and be sure there are no air leaks allowing air into the system or fuel restrictions, such as a clogged filter, crimped hose, bad squeeze bulb or bad anti-siphon bulb at the tank, and also be sure the tank is properly vented etc.. Tell us what you find,

Jon "

" Jon,
Engine checks are very

" Jon,
Engine checks are very new to me so this may be a very basic question but I want to do it right.Using an automotive spark tester,do I just connect one end to the boot and the other to the plug(inline) without removing the plug and then turn the key?Do I leave the other plugs connected?If so,could the engine possibly start or does the tester negate the possibility, or is the correct procedure different?
Thank you "

check your kill switch it may

check your kill switch it may be getting weak. I mean the kill tether built into your control box or dash.

Back