Logo

electric fuel pump installation

gobradavich

I have a 1984 120 2.5L Mercruiser engine that I have had mechanical fuel pump issues with for a few years I think the issue is with the lobs on the cam, and I am going to install a electric fuel pump to it that has a max psi of 4.5 and min of 2.5 and 16.8 gph 12v. Were is the best place to hook the power to on this pump. The max fuel pressure specs. are 4psi for the mechanical pump that is on it now. Is 4.5 to much max pressure?

Thanks George

Last edited:
You shouldn't just apply 12 vdc to the pump w/o installing an oil pressure operated safety switch. Temporary power comes from the starter and primary voltage comes thru the safety switch. Use a relay powered by the safety switch.

I am converting from a mechanical fuel pump to electric on a 5.7GL (96). My electric fuel pump (from OEM) has no fitting for the fuel return line from my 2 bbl carb. What is the best solution for this ? Possibly a small second inline filter with a return fitting ? Possibly just block off the carb return fitting ?

Last edited:
I am converting from a mechanical fuel pump to electric on a 5.7GL (96). My electric fuel pump (from OEM) has no fitting for the fuel return line from my 2 bbl carb. What is the best solution for this ? Possibly a small second inline filter with a return fitting ? Possibly just block off the carb return fitting ?
That small plastic tubing used on mechanical fuel pump set up is not a return line, is is a diaphragm rupture line used to direct fuel from a pump diaphragm rupture up into the carb bores vs having the fuel drip into the bilge.

just get a vacum cap from auto parts store and cap the nipple on the carb its not needed with an electric pump.

Back