Logo

1990 Mercury 9.9 HP 2 stroke Electric Start (Tiller hand start) running problem

I finally detected no spark problem with this engine. It is a short in somewhere in the stop/kill switch. So, I disconnected the Black/Yellow wire from the Laynard stop switch and got the spark back. I then proceeded to run the engine: started with full choke then let it run without choke. It does run but only for a short period 10-15 seconds then it dies. I can rev it up and run it at the higher speed but it also dies on me. What am I looking at, please advise?
Chris Craft Cat

It sounds like "cooties" in the fuel system somewhere.

A little history on the motor - you just acquired it? it ran fine last year? etc.

A carb kit would be a good starting point - the full kit - these models have the fuel pump built right into the carb, so both get taken care of with a full carb overhaul.

It could also be a clogged up bleed line that scavenges excess fuel from the intake.

It could also be a bad crank seal or a bad intake gasket or a bad base gasket or clogged exhaust tube (and I can go on for quite a bit). That is why the "history" of the motor is so important. A problem that has progressively gotten worse may point in a specific direction - a problem that occurred out of the blue or instantaneously is a different matter.

These are fairly simple motors and I have worked on many over the years. If the motor is "new to you", at minimum I would redo the carb/fuel pump, water pump and change the lower unit oil.

This particular model is hard on upper crank seals, intake plate gaskets, powerhead base gaskets and coils (after they get to be 20 or so years old)

All of these "common issues", or/plus a clogged up carb/perforated fuel pump membrane could cause the issue you are experiencing...

Graham, thanks for your quick reply. You are right, I have no history on this little engine. I live in Florida and used it very seldom. It ran fine before I started experiencing electrical problem with stop switch. It just would not spark until someone suggested that I run it with blk/yel wire from the kill switch disconnected from Switch Box. I got the spark and am able to fire the engine and run it for a few seconds then it dies on me. To restart I have to choke it and then restart again without choke to run it for a few seconds. It appears to be starving for gas.
Chriscraftcat

PS. The kill switch problem still exists, is it possible to cause shorting even if blk/yel wire is disconnencted?

Last edited:
Back