Logo

1974 Chrysler Stern drives eaten up, Model?

blueboattrip

Hello I just had my boat pulled out of the lake and the stern drives are so eaten up by corrosion that they have no model or serial #'s left. I believe they are model 90 out drives. I can get series 60 out drives complete but are series 60 and 90 units interchangeable? Engines are twin Chrysler LM318 225's. (I bought this boat a month ago knowing it needed various repairs.)

Hello I just had my boat pulled out of the lake and the stern drives are so eaten up by corrosion that they have no model or serial #'s left. I believe they are model 90 out drives. I can get series 60 out drives complete but are series 60 and 90 units interchangeable? Engines are twin Chrysler LM318 225's. (I bought this boat a month ago knowing it needed various repairs.)

My only assistance. The legs may be DANA badged Chrysler.. Google Hurrikain.com.

Even if you could find a pair of drives, parts availability may be difficult. I don't believe that this dirve was in production for many years.

By today's standards, it's a rather odd design, in my opinion.

Here's the later version.

At some point in time, Chrysler began using Volvo Penta drives with the Chrysler name on them.
Everything pertaining to the drive is all Volvo Penta.

Eaton did the same thing with the Volvo Penta 200 and 250 drives, and coupled them up with the Ford 5.0's and 5.8's.

An option for you would be installing a pair of the AQ series Volvo Penta drives.
Chrysler engines were mated to Volvo Penta drives via Borg Warner components using the Borg Warner/Volvo Penta PDS adatper housings.
With these components, the conversion would be pretty straight forword.

Food for thought, perhaps.

Not certain, but this may be the correct Chrysler engine Borg Warner flywheel cover that would take you from the Chrysler engine to Borg Warner to the Volvo Penta PDS housing.
From there to the transom shield and outdrive........ it's a piece of cake.

Here's a MarineEngine.com thread on a similar topic... but with Inboard Transmissions.
It's somewhat relative w/ Borg Warner being Borg Warner all day long.

It will cost you a bit to do this, but it would be well worth it down the road.
In fact, if the Chrysler drives are hard to find, or if you do find them, but they need work....., this may end up being less costly.

With the Volvo Penta, you'll have no more dog clutch gear engagement, and no more hard to find parts, etc.

Also, with the V/P, there is such a great range of interchangeability. If you chose a 270 transom shield (for example), a 250, 270, 275, 285 or 285 complete drive will install on this shield.
All lower units (of the correct ratio) will also interchange.
Transmissions will interchange, with exception to the 250.

The old AQ series drives and parts are going to be around for years to come.

Last edited:
Back