Logo

84 evinrude wont idle without choke , And starter recoil question

jfields

1984 Evinrude 15 hp. Been working on this motor a while got everything going but it wont idle unless choked. Did a carb rebuild , new fuel lines , and cam follower and roller. Runs good at higher throttle but wont idle unless choked. I took off the fuel pump and checked it. It seems to be good. Another question I have is , I replaced the starter recoil. The red plastic piece on the side is suppose to have what looks like a thin spring or metal wire that goes from it to the metal casing that the recoil spring sits in. Mine is broke and mostly missing. I cant find this part. Is there a way to make one or is this piece even needed. Ive been starting the motor without it. Thanks in advance for any info.

About the only thing that can go wrong with the pump is the diaphragm.-Available in a repair kit or just by itself.----The red plastic thing is there to prevent you from cranking the motor over when throttle is advanced too far.-Not needed for a careful owner,-Recommend replacing that if kids are running the motor.--The red plastic starter pawl is available at any OMC/ BRP dealer at less than $20.00.---Available on this site too.--Just look it up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have the red plastic piece but looking at pics of this motor there is a spring or wire connected to it and mine is missing. At least I know what it is for now. Thanks

Back