Logo

Tools

grmaro

Contributing Member
Hello everyone I know this blog is for engine problems but I thought I'd ask it here since I own a 2008 150HP HONDA its mounted on a 20' Pro-Line Sport CC I do 90% of my boating in the ocean and to work on the engine is limited due to being in the ocean so my question is what TOOL'S should I carry on the boat and parts any and all answers would be much appreciated. Thank You Greg

Greg,

You'll get a lot of opinions on that question - I'm regularly 40 miles or more from Home Port on both the Chesapeake and off Hatteras, so I'm a bit obsessive. Here is my list of what I carry on board my 25 ft C-Hawk cabin boat...

1. Spare prop, including castle nut, cotter pin and thrush washer in a zip lock bag taped to the prop.
2. Duct tape (Yes, I'm a Southerner, and duct tape can fix a lot of things!)
3. Set of metric sockets and drivers.
4. Set of metric wrenches
5. Set of metric Allen wrenches
6. Set of screw drivers
7. Spare kill switch yoke
8. Spark plug socket (or the little Honda tool kit that came with the engine in case I need to pull a plug) plus 2 or 3 spare spark plugs.
9. A piece of canvas that can be taped to the engine to catch any parts that get accidently dropped.
10. WD-40, small can of machine oil, and small container of marine grease.
11. Standard pliers, channel lock pliers, small and large vice grips.

Items 2-11 (except the piece of canvas) are stuffed into a single plastic tool box t which I fabricated a soft rubber seal around the lid rim. Inside the box are one or two rags soaked in WD-40 to prevent rust.

12. Quart of oil
13. Pint of hydraulic fluid
14. Manual water/bilge pump
15. Marine Tex, 2-ton epoxy, and a set of large C clamps.

Also, I have a separate sealed electrical box containing volt/ohm meter, fuses, jumper wires, small roll of #12 wire, small roll of #16 wire, butt connectors, various terminal connectors, electrical tape, shrink wrap, wire cutter, wire stripper, and butane fireplace lighter for using shrink wrap.

A few other things I keep on board that are useful - a bottle of hydrogen peroxide that is always within easy reach for cuts and scrapes and a box of band aides in addition to what is in my custom first aide kit.

i carry my tools in a army surplus ammunition box....forget what size ammunition came in it but its about 14 by 14 inches square and a foot or so deep and made of some kind of fiberglass...not sure of the exact size but i have had it for 15 years or so and its absolutely moisture proof...in addition to tools i also keep a small grease gun for buddy bearings in it..i also have another smaller box for paperwork and a couple rolls of tape is in there so they will not get crudded up in the tool box..

the tool box fits perfectly under the console on the boat..and your entry reminded me CHawk...i need a new small first aid kit....i though mine was water proof and just threw it in some not so dry storage.....

Papyson - as for the first aid kit. I've found it best to make up my own. There are various lists of the things you need. I think I used the one on Boat US, supplemented by my brother's advice. He is a retired EMT. Don't laugh, but I store it all in a plastic cat litter shipping box - light, corrosion proof, and water tight. However, I keep the hydrogen peroxide and a box of band aides sitting on the console encased in two beer can coolers for easy access.

And just how did you come across that M-2 ammo box?

Hello CHawk THANK YOU!! that is what I was looking for a great LIST for me to work off I have limited storage but I can fit all that with no problem .Again thank you! Greg

Hey chawk! Pretty good list of spares and I wouldn't argue with one item. Question though:

When you tape that ZIP LOCK bag with the spare castle nut and cotter pin to the prop....

Doesn't it just fly off when you put her in gear???

Sorry....:mad:)...couldn't resist
Cheers,
jimmyd

i got that ammo box off my son and i think he got it off the web...there is a guy here that hauls ammo boxes out of wisconsin but he never has that size..sells by a road....i have tried for years to find another that size to no avail...son has a couple more of them but he has some expensive pistols stored in them...

Back