Logo

PLEASE HELP!!!!1989 Evinrude 200xp bogging under load.

markmorelock25

Hello all. Newbie here. I have a E200STLCEB on a 1989 Stratos 201 with issues. First of all, the engine has never felt "up to snuff" to me. It would accelerate good, but with only 5000 WOT rpms. Had a 4 blade 25p. Spinelli on it when purchased. Recently acquired a 24p. Raker and installed and set engine @ 3.5" below pad. Same rpms. just more top end (before gps so I don't know how much.) Took the boat out yesterday and it didn't want to come up on plane and was bogging down. As soon as the boat got out of the water, it took off and had power. But only 50mph (gps)@4500rpms. Next time I tried to take off, it would not get on plane. It just bogged down and seemed to be misfiring. Took her home and here is what I have checked.

Fuel filter- clear
Fuel Quality and Supply-great
Compression- 90psi. on all 6
Spark- Jumps 7/16 gap on all 6

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

If all of those check out as you say, your prop is too steep for your application. You need 5500 RPM with near a full load. If you are propping it for speed of the boat you are in trouble. The engine has to be able to get it up on plane, run at it's W.O.T. range and you should feel it relax when trimmed out at the W.O.T. The four blades only add to the problems with the steepness of a 24 or 25, it is biting too much water.

Back