Logo

140a

ddill

I have just taken my boat out of storage. Drained the old tank of gas out and put in new. Replaced the sea water pump. Put in a new battery. I cranked it over and lots of spark but no go. Checked to see if gas was getting to the carbs, it was so pump is good. I dumped gas down the carbs and she took off....then died. I can do this all day but it seems to want to go when I put gas down the carbs but she won't stay running. HELP! The fish r jumping!

I would start by draining both carb bowls, then make sure they have been filled with clean gas. Then, once I got the engine running, I would verify that both carbs are synchronized (will need a uni-syn tool) and then adjust idle mixture, idle speed, and verify ignition timing.

Afterwards, I would go fishing with a reasonable amount of peace of mind. :)

I would start by draining both carb bowls, then make sure they have been filled with clean gas. Then, once I got the engine running, I would verify that both carbs are synchronized (will need a uni-syn tool) and then adjust idle mixture, idle speed, and verify ignition timing.

Afterwards, I would go fishing with a reasonable amount of peace of mind. :)

Thank u, I did have one of the carbs off and there was gas in it, but I didn't think to dump that stuff out...darn it! I figured for some reason that was the stuff I had been pouring in lol. I will do both now that you've brought this to my attention. Thank you.

Some of the auto parts stores will loan or rent specialty tools. Might even be able to pick up a timing light and tach/dwell meter at a second hand store or pawn shop.

So long weekend, nothing open! I've drained the carbs ,new gas and filter and still won't start but when I put gas straight down the carbs it will. Now on to the timing. I still don't have the tool I need, but am getting one tomorrow. I found two white marks, one on the lower pulley and one on the housing ( the part above with the numbers on it ). Do these have to line up? Because they don't right now. I'm not a mechanic but quickly figuring out that I ought to learn! lol I do remember my father doing this years ago and I think these two marks do line up when running with the light. Is this correct? Regretting not having paid more attention when I was younger! lol.

Just going over some of the forums related to my boat ( volvo 140 a ) My problems seemed to have started ( a few years ago before I gave up ) when I had a guy replace the flapper in the exhaust bellows, is it at all possible this was installed wrong? It was after that job that I lost circulation the first time. I thought I read that the flapper was no longer recommended but I can't find that post again. I have replaced the sea water impellar and am hoping that was the issue as it was messed up inside.

If the flapper was installed the wrong way I think you either would have blown the bellows at that time, or the engine would have never started. In any case, it is easy to check if the flapper is installed the wrong way. just remove the clamp from the outdrive, pull it and have a look inside.

If you don't have a flapper installed, you take the risk of the engine sucking water..

If the timing was the problem, the engine would likely display the same symptoms whether or not you pour gas down the carb. Your problem may be something as simple as clogged or misadjusted idle jet/idle screw, or the carbs not being synchronized. It is not the first time I see the aft carb butterfly seizing, so when you give throttle only the forward carb butterfly opens. You may want to consider going through the carb synchronization procedure in the manual (it's not the best but it will keep you going). This way your idle mixture jets will also be adjusted.

And if you don't have an electronic ignition kit installed, that's where I would start, it will save you a lot of headaches.

Thankyou sir, I have found my manual and I will go through the jet screw settings. I see your handle on alot of these posts and you are well versed in the goings on in regards to these engines. I greatly appreciate your knowledge and advice......can you move here? I have a lake...full of fish... lol.

So I've taken apart my carbs again and adjusted set screw fittings as per the manual ( both flappers working together ). I think the timing is verified, I did that the old school way, pulled # 1 plug, turned it over clockwise untill it pushed my stick out. The rotor was pointing to # 1 and the white marks ( someone already had them on there from previous motor job )line up. Without pouring gas down the carbs, I instead pumped the hell out of it and she almost fired up, wants to...but won't. Is this still a carb issue , floats not working right? I'm not sure what to look for there. They were just hanging down when I removed the bottom of the bowls. I verified that gas was squirting towards the flapper from both, I'm stumped!

By ignition leads do you mean wires from distributor to spark plugs? clockwise 1,3,4,2. With my limited knowledge ( and the wife starting to get grumpy with me working on this all day ) I'm going to take the boat to a mechanic. If it's the carbs hopefully they can figure it out and I will have them go through everything. I have gone as far as I dare and don't wish to make a possible simple solution worse.The carbs make sense as it has sat for 3-4 yrs. Thanks again for your great advice.

Yes, I meant the ignition wires.

Your engine problem cannot be too complicated since it occasionally attempts to start. It could be something as simple as the idle speed being set too low.

Yes the wires are correct throwing me off with all these technical terms.lol I'm hoping it's the carbs I've adjusted them a couple of times but like I said the wife is getting as frustrated with me as I am with the boat! I'll let a professional look at it and maybe teach me a little something. The boat has sat a long time and I did not drain the carbs so that probably wasn't good for it ( so says the wife ) gonna suck if she's right!

Back