Logo

weird sound from a "new to me" 2008 DF50

Bought the bought over the winter. Used it for the first time on wednesday and again today.

Motor is a 4 stroke DF50 2008.

In forward gear at just above "trolling speed" you can hear a distinct low volume high pitch whine. If you decrease of increase the throttle the whine noise goes away. In neutral and reversce the sound does not happen when brought up to the same RPM's that the noise happens when in drive.

I have no tach so I can't tell you what excatly the rpms are to make the noise. I just no its slightly above trolling speed. Guesing around 1/5 throttle??

guy I bought it from maintained it relgiously. I think he took it to the dealer to do the maintanence. I asked him about the noise and he said he never noticed any noise, but it could have been there since he bought it.

when I got it I check the leg fluid even though it was replaced in the fall and it was full and good. I checked the engine oil level and it was too high. I drained out around 1/2 litre to bring it down to the proper level. he said he replaced the oil just before he put it into winter storage so I don't think it was run with too much oil.

So any guesses what the sound is or if its normal? To me I think its in the gears since it only happens in forward gear, but what stumps me is the noise goes away with increased or decreased throttle.

Back