Logo

Removing old vinyl lettering

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
Well folks, it came time to remove my old faded vinyl name decal and replace it with a new one. They had been on there for eight years, and were definitely looking faded and shabby. Simple task, right? So I get out the old heat gun and razor scraper, start heating up the letters, and use the razor scraper to lift up corners of the letters and slowly peel them back over themselves, and off they come. A little slow, but it’s a long name: “Virginia Reel 2” on each side of the cabin in a shadowed fancy cursive. It took about an hour to get them all off.

So, next step, remove the adhesive. Still a simple task, right? Nope, not simple at all. Get out the old Goof Off, sprayed it on a section, let it sit for about 60 seconds, then take the plastic scraper and scrape it off IAW instructions. Well, a little bit comes off, but there is still a lot of adhesive left. Do it again, a little more comes off, but still a long way to go.

Not to be foiled at this point, I grab the acetone, and go to work. Similar result.

Okay, go to the internet and do a search on removing adhesive.
Hmmmm – seems that every boat pundit has a different formula – here is a sampling…
· WD-40
· Goof off
· Goo Gone
· Acetone
· RUST-OLEUM Decal and Adhesive Remover
· Zep Chemicals Big Orange
· Denatured alcohol
· 3M Stripe Removal Systems
· Orange Cleaner that you can get at any Wal-Mart
· Lighter fluid
· Gasoline
· xylene or lacquer thinner
· 3M Graphics Eraser
· Etc. etc. etc.

Well, I tried about everything in my shop after the Goof Off and acetone - WD-40, Goo Gone, alcohol, lighter fluid, gasoline, and paint thinner. In each case, some would come off, but not all. It was looking like a very long day.

Not being quite as stubborn or as dumb as I used to be, I called up the owner of a local sign shop who has done some work for me in the past and just happens to also does boat name decals. I ask him what he uses and how he does it. He said to come on over to the shop and he’d show me.

Off I go. When I get there he pulls out a bottle of something called “Rapid Remover” by Rapidtec.com. Explains to take paper towel, fold it up like a blotter, pour on some Rapid Remover, and liberally dab it on a section of adhesive, let it sit for 30 to 60 seconds. Then take a hard plastic scraper (e.g. something like a Bondo applicator), and start scraping it off. When that is done, take a second folded up paper towel, put on some more Rapid Remover, and wipe down the section to get any stubborn spots. Repeat as necessary. Then spray on window cleaner and wipe with a clean cloth.

I zip back to the boat, follow his instructions, and it worked like a charm – took about 30 minutes.

Finished the job up with 3M hull restorer, which is basically a medium grit rubbing compound.

Now, I’m not saying some of the adhesive removers listed above that I didn't try are as good or even possibly superior, since I have no evidence one way or the other. But, given the stuff I did try, the Rapid Remover was clearly far superior.

Hope this helps any others who may be facing a similar issue.

Thanks CHawk...i wish i had heard of it about 18 months ago....i have a all aluminum bassboat that i put a new motor on and decided to re carpet....ordered and received about 400 bucks worth of good carpet and glue and got started..the first thing i realized was that they had carpeted the boat as they built it and that every hatch cover and storage compartment etc had to come out...all of this stuff was carpeted and the carpet wrapped around the edges etc..the carpet was even under the locks and recessed compartment opening things...ended up with 2 coffee cans full of screws and small hardware and about 15 pieces of aluminum out of the boat...there was more carpet on that stuff than on the deck of the boat...to make this story shorter i will just say i used everything that was
recommended on here and on the web and progress was slow and not really cutting it...my son has a pressure sprayer that is 450 psi...we put the boat at the end of the driveway and got with it and in 5 hours had the aluminum stripped of ALL the carpet and All the glue...we had carpet all over the drive and the yard and the street to clean up but i was so happy i didnt mind it...

to finish the story spring was coming fast so i was tired of fooling around with it so i took the boat to an ex neighbor that has a business that restores wrecked lincoln automobiles and he did the carpeting at his leisure with me doing some legwork...took about 3 weeks before he was finished....that cost 600 bucks plus misc for screws etc as needed so i probably have 1200 on the job...but it was worth it and this carpet i put in is a much better grade than the original...

Papyson - WOW, that sounds like a tough job all around. Nice thing about that Rapid Remover is that it is relatively thin, and would likely have penetrated the carpet and dissolved the glue. So keep that idea in the back of your noggin in case you need to do a similar repair.

never again on the re carpet....my last truck and a new one have no carpet...my rule now is if you cant hose a truck out you aint got a truck...same will apply to a new boat if i ever have to buy one..

your local automotive body shop will sell an "ERASER WHEEL "
a round wheel, like an earser.
attached with a shaft to fit onto your drill.
i used it to remove graphics from my old car

i have removed them with a hobby heat gun (for covering rc airplanes) not the hot hot heat guns, great from shrinking them too when applying

Back