Logo

What size boat can my motor push?

ltbammer

Hello, I have a 2012 20hp 4 stroke motor. What size or weight boat would this motor be able to push? I have a 14' boat weight a few hundred pounds it pushes it fine a 1/3 power. I'm looking to get a different boat I was looking at around 16 top 17 foot but there is a big different in weight between boats. example a 16 caroline skiff to a 17" key west. Thanks

Look at the USCG maximums placard on the boat. Then, the old rule of thumb is to stay up to near 80% of the maximum rated hp for the boat. Much below that, and performance is less than stellar.

a boat that is underpowered can be just as dangerous in my opinion as an overpowered one .....it dont happen often but there are times when the weather catches you and you need enough power to fight rough water....agree with pvanv and would not deviate far from that rule...you also may be looking at buying a different prop..another thing (depending on your boating experience) that i would do is get a wheel in a boat...its safer than the tiller ...

So what your saying is if the boat says max HP 75 motor I should have a 60 HP motor? I'm in Florida and know the weather comes on quick. I fish in the gulf mostly the flats if we go out its not very far. A boat with a wheel(center console) would be great, can't get much with $3000 budget. I want to get something a little big then what I have now but I want to make sure its going to be safe. I was thinking there was a weight limit the motor is rated for.

You could get a bare bones Gheenoe LT that motor would push that great ! When you get the money you could add a nice side console

I don't understand why a tiller is dangerous I run them all the time

Back