Logo

bf150 lower unit repair

scandalista

I've got leaking lower unit seals - right by the prop - and I was curious to know if I can remove just the prop holder, and thus the 2 seals that are under it - without disturbing the prop shaft and having to disassemble everything - the parts diagram seems to indicate that it's possible - can a wheel or bearing puller centered on the end of the prop shaft accomplish this? It's either this or the mechanic. From the degradation shown on the end of the prop shaft holder, I'll have to replace that, too

Not quite that simple with a 150. Have to pull the lower unit, remove the water pump and shift shaft. Then pull the prop shaft holder and prop shaft out together. Theeeen...press the prop shaft out of the holder with a press.
You then will have to remove the reverse gear.

Putting all back together, you have to heat the holder to make it expand to put the prop shaft and reverse gear back in.

If you do not have a manual, take it to a mechanic who can handle this.

Mike

Hah! I had a sneaking suspicion it wasn't going to be that easy - it seemed logical, looking at the parts diagram... oh, well, it's off to find a good Honda shop. Many thanks for your reply!

Back