Logo

12v92 heat exchanger removal

sheepman

Hello all,

Anyone out there have any tricks or ideas on the best way to remove the heat exchanger core. They are expensive little monsters and do not want to screw it up.

Thanks,

Sheepman

Hi Sheepman,

Never done one so I thought I'd look in my Series 92 service manual. Lo and behold, there is no reference to removing the heat exchanger on a 12V in section 5! It lists 6V and 8V with another, slightly different procedure for the 8Vt and the 16V but no mention of the 12V.

I can't imagine there being THAT much difference in the 12V from that of the 16 or even the single blocks but you might know more than me on that score.

The bottom line is that there are basically the inlet and outlet covers along with seal glands that must be removed and it seems that the core should exit the tank from the outlet side. Just a bunch of bolts and keeping track of the seal locations for reassembly.

They do admonish you to make sure to use brass plugs where any are in the raw water piping and to service the zincs. One zinc is in the expansion tank and the other is in the inlet of the raw water pump. If those are deteriorated or covered in scale, your clean core won't last long.

Other than that, it SEEMS like a fairly straightforward job keeping in mind that the core can be pretty delicate and probably won't tolerate much prying, bending or other violence if it is stuck. I would spray the crap out of the interior of the tank with PB-Blaster before attempting to move the core toward the "exit".

I know this ain't much but I hope it helps.

Good luck with the chore.

Back