Logo

Replacing cylinder heads and adjust valves

Skooter

Advanced Contributor
Okay, the saga continues...I had my heads rebuilt on my bf200, replaced 24 bent valves due to timing belt that flew off due to a seized pulley bearing. Im going back with the heads, but do not want to damage valves again (the bf200 is an intereference unit). The helm gives a sequence of how to adjust valves, but here is my issue...I have the rocker arm shaft torqued on the cylinder head and all the rocker arm valve adjusting screws have been backed off as far as possible...that being said, I'm trying to place timing camshaft on the #1 notch with crank in #1 TDC position. The rocker arm still makes contact on cylinder valve #2 with valve and spring, so cam will rotate due to tension and not stay on the #1 position, making it hard to set timing belt properly..I know it sounds confusing, but believe me, I dont want to replace valves again. So should I completely remove the rocker shaft assembly in order to set up heads and timing belt? Has anyone replaced heads before that you can walk me thru this..Im just afraid if it a little off, that I may bend valves again..

Wow, that don't sound right! That valve should not be contacting the rocker. It sounds like the machine shop got the valve too deep or the stem is way too long! I've seen machine shops do strange things before up to and including not putting valve seats back in the heads before reassembly. Are you sure something like that isn't going on?

I know the valves are too long, I ordered them from boats.net. As for the stems, they have not been replaced. I will further investigate and let u know

Okay, i check both heads out and this seems to be a "normal" sequence between both the heads. Tomorrow is the day I slap them on!

Back