Logo

T9.9 4stroke oil leak

Tfl66

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas of what to look for before I start taking my motor apart
i bought a use high thrust 9.9 4 stroke about a 1996 I believe
it was leaking oil out around the prop it smelled like leg oil so I reseal ed the bottom end at the beginning of the year it lasted about half way through the season and started leaking again only the leg oil was right up, after further investigation I found it to be engine oil the motor has been hanging on the boat all year only tilted up for running and down for trailering
the leak is now quite bad
im thinking the crank seal but looking at the parts breakdown does this motor have a remote sump for oil?
Isthe crank seal hard to get too ?
And is there anything else I should check before disassembling the motor?
do I reach the bottom main seal by removing the power head on these units ?
Any info would be really appreciated
thanks Tfl66

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas of what to look for before I start taking my motor apart
i bought a use high thrust 9.9 4 stroke about a 1996 I believe
it was leaking oil out around the prop it smelled like leg oil so I reseal ed the bottom end at the beginning of the year it lasted about half way through the season and started leaking again only the leg oil was right up, after further investigation I found it to be engine oil the motor has been hanging on the boat all year only tilted up for running and down for trailering
the leak is now quite bad
im thinking the crank seal but looking at the parts breakdown does this motor have a remote sump for oil?
Isthe crank seal hard to get too ?
And is there anything else I should check before disassembling the motor?
do I reach the bottom main seal by removing the power head on these units ?
Any info would be really appreciated
thanks Tfl66

My 2001 9.9 high-thrust ex-long shaft Yamaha began leaking motor oil after 7 years of use, but only when tilted up opn the transom or laying flat (I had the tiller down). A mechanic sugested I check the dip stick grommet but it seems ok. Did you ever figure out the problem with yours??

My 2001 9.9 high-thrust ex-long shaft Yamaha began leaking motor oil after 7 years of use, but only when tilted up opn the transom or laying flat (I had the tiller down). A mechanic sugested I check the dip stick grommet but it seems ok. Did you ever figure out the problem with yours??

Back