Logo

45 HP Force that has sat for 10 years.

ddowney

I purchased a1500 Blue Fin by Spectrum aluminum fishing boat that has a 45 HP force onit. The motor looks in excellent shape the boat has hardly a scratch onit. The owner states it’s been on the water maybe 12 times since hebought it brand new. The problem is he has let it sit outside behind hisbarn the last 10 to 11 years that I know of and it has never been started orrun. The owner got sick and just was never able to go out afterthat. He says it ran like a top when he parked it. What should I havedone to this motor before attempting to start it? Should I have it gonecompletely through? What will something like this cost to make sure it’sall in good working shape? Will seals inside the motor dry rot and willthe engine be any good at all? We haveto replace all the carpet and seats due to dry rot. The boat was never covered and out in all theelements all those years in the midwest.

The motor. First new gas in the tank. Replace all the hoses and squeezie.The inline connectors, the seals dryrot and suck air. They might feel good, but will probably go bad as soon as you introduce Ethanol into the system. Clean carb. Rebuild fuel pump. Spray a bit of WD-40 in the cylinders. Change the lowerunit oil.Make sure that you don't remove the slotted screw on the side of the drive. The seals inside the motor are probably ok.

Back