Logo

ECM for Merc Cruiser carb engine

RacerRick

I'm a newbie to this forum, considerable mech. and engine experience from 30 years of racing sports cars. Sold the car bought a boat. I have a 1986 Carver powered with twin 350 Merc Cruiser carburetted engines. We have installed electronic ignition to replace points and condersor but the distributor retains the weights and springs for spark advance. Are there any aftermarket ECMs available along with required distributor for these marine engines to replace the mechanical advance. Did it all the time for automobile/racing appliations but so far, I have found none for marine applications. Thanks, Rick
Thanks for you help.

2X on the EST's, also known as Voyager systems...they are cheap and relatively simple and NO ECU required. The 'catch' is the advance curve is in the electronics and can't be modified.

Your favorite high performance aftermarket sources in the auto world usually have marine products...you just need to dig to find them.

Whichever way you choose, make sure you use Marine Rated ignition components; opting otherwise will expose you to liability and void most insurance coverages...

Back