Logo

Marine power 5.7 sportpac wiring to velvet drive nuetral safety switch

floridaBill

I have a new sportpac 5.7 and 71C velvet drive. I have a nuetral safety switch on the velvet drive. I am unsure how to wire it to the engine. I do not see any wires hanging on the engine that would go to that switch.

Anyone have any info on this?

EFI or Carb? Should be a yellow/red wire that comes from the start switch and connects to the start relay. For the neutral safety, you can run that wire to the NSS on the trans, and then to the start relay. Sometimes tho, the NSS is located in the shift lever in the case of some single lever controls.

I found this:
http://www.marinepowerusa.com/pdfs/MarinePowerUSA_Engine_Owners_Manual_Pre-2011.pdf

Wiring diagram begins on page 43.

Last edited:
EFI or Carb? Should be a yellow/red wire that comes from the start switch and connects to the start relay. For the neutral safety, you can run that wire to the NSS on the trans, and then to the start relay. Sometimes tho, the NSS is located in the shift lever in the case of some single lever controls.

Thanks for the quick reply. Its carburated. I have a yellow/red wire that comes in from the engine harness to instrument harness pigtail and goes to the ingnition switch. Are you saying to take that wire to the NSS first and then back to the ingition switch?

Yes I have that diagram but it shows the switch already wired in. On my engine I do not have as far as I can see any lose wires. The only lose wires I saw were the yellow/red to the starter solenoid which I connected as shown.

Well, there is no LAW that says that you have to have a neutral safety switch. If you are conscientious enough to be sure it is in neutral before starting, there is no reason to actually go to the trouble of rerouting the wire. That said, what if the spousal unit or next door neighbor or brother in law who aren't aware of the situation hit the key and the boat is not tied off, or worse is pointed at people.
My suggestion is to get hold of some yellow/red wire and run it to the neutral switch. Just follow the diagram. Wire should be coming out of the ignition switch going to the neutral switch and then to the engine.

Back