Logo

318 distributer upgrade no electronic ignition control unit?

KMD

I have a 1989 Marinette boat with twin Chrysler 318’s. Motors are out installing 2 fresh rebuilds. I am getting ready to switch all wiring over from old engines to new rebuilt blocks. I am looking at a Chrysler 318 wiring diagram from a service manual (not sure year of manual but it shows center dump manifolds on the cover so it must be of my year boat). The wiring diagram in the manual shows a “Electronic Ignition Control Unit” as part of the wiring. The original motors have upgraded Mallory YLM series distributers on them. The wiring on both motors does not have “Electronic Ignition Control Units” . The one motor was blown, the other ran fine before I pulled it out. I am just curious if this is not needed with the upgraded distributers that were installed. I bought the boat from a boat yard as it was getting ready to be scraped so I have no past history from previous owner.

I just rebuilt my 1977 chrysler 440 port side engine. I used the Mallory YLM distributor. The machine shop told me to eliminate the ECU and my double ballast resistor.

If you go with the Mallory units, you eliminated the Chrysler igniton box (ECU) and ballast resistor circuit.

Jeff

Back