Logo

Coolant Loss on 454 XLi

salmonbum

Hello all. 1stpost.......

I have a 1996 Pursuit Offshore with twin 454 Xli power-plants that I boughtlast May. At that time, the port motor needed coolant filler neck due to thecommon cracking issue. I replaced and at that time I had the marina that wasdoing cutlass bearings change the coolant in that motor as well. I ran the boat600 miles to my home port with no problems in Mid May. During the fishingseason, I kept an eye on the coolant level. Cold, it would be at the “Add” lineon both motors. When Hot, it would expand about halfway to top, like it should.After cooling it would go back to “Add” line. I noticed after a few fishingtrips that when cold, the level was going below the “add” line, but there wasalways about 1-2” of coolant in bottle. I wasn’t sure if this was something todo with the system still burping itself or another issue. I used about 1.5-2quarts of coolant for the entire season (60-80 hrs), so not too much. I do notsee any signs of coolant in my oil, the motor runs great. Coolant is stillgreen in color. I have replaced the pressure cap on motor (isn’t one on H\E).

So, I’m notsure if this is something that could be due to coolant swap, as I read somesaid it takes a bit of time to get all the air out, or possibly the heatexchanger having a pin hole in it, which will push coolant out the raw waterwhen warm. I believe the H\E are original, risers and manifolds were new in mid-2009,and not much use since then. The boat is in fresh water and has been since2009, but did spend a limited time in salt. If this is a heat exchanger, can itbe repaired?

Welcome to ME.com

With the coolant level being consistent for several trip (that means the system is purged) and then dropping, I think we all agree you have a small leak.

I'd suggest getting a pressure tester connected and start looking for the leak...could be something as simple as a hose clamp needing another 1/4 turn...

Thatnks for the reply. I wouldn't say the level is staying consistant, I just think it takes 4-5 trip to notoce it has dropped.

Back