Logo

5hp 4 stroke Tohatsu problem

Seastar

I have a 5 hp Tohatsu that will not stay in forward gear except at idle or just above.
anyone know what it could be?
Seastar

Either the shift coupler needs adjusted, or the clutch dog and fwd gear are shot.
Thanks Paul.
Sounds like an expensive fix for a ten hour motor.
I just got it back from the dealer having paid $250 to find and fix a spark plug that would short out at high speed and stop the motor. The dealer missed the jump out of gear problem.
Guess I should have bought a better brand.
So far this Tohatsu has been nothing but trouble.
Bill

$250 to replace a bum plug in an in-warranty motor? Odd.

Where did you buy the motor? Did you get the filled-out PDI (pre-delivery inspection) form? Did you contact your dealer? Has your dealer let you down, or is this a run-of-the-mill warranty issue?

All motors of all brands can and do have occasional warranty issues. The outboard brand is unrelated to the spark plug problem -- rare as it is. Most Japanese motors run NGK plugs, and I have had more issues with the plugs in Yamahas than Tohatsu motors. Given that Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury and Evinrude all come out of the Tohatsu plant (with different decals), making Tohatsu the largest (motor for motor) manufacturer of all outboards, blaming the manufacturer for your issue seems inappropriate.

Why would you pay anything for an in-warranty repair? At under 5 years, your motor should be under warranty.

Paul
You are correct. The plug problem was NGK, not Tohatsu.
The plug was intermittent and hard to diagnose.
The motor is back at another dealer to fix the gear problem.
We will see.
Bill

Last edited:
I would get a statement from the second dealer and take the first dealer to small claims court if you did not get a substantial refund !

Tohatsu motors are excellent ! I have some very old ones that are doing great ! Thanks to Paul sourcing parts for me ! (You can take what he says to the bank !)

Back