Logo

Install Racor as an additional filter ?

Samsara

Hi all, A couple months back my genny bogged during an overnight excursion, water in the port fuel tank was the culprit.
Replaced the standard gaso/water separator filter and sucked the culprit out from both tanks. Lucky for me that night it did not bogg the engines instead.
To prevent future misadventure of the same nature I'm considering a Racor "RAC320R-RAC-02" (metal bowl with drain plug) installation
to protect the twin 2004 merc 350 mpi mag horizon. I could buy the Racor and simply replace the standard merc stock spin-on canister, unfortunately
the stock canister is so low to the bilge floor that the Racor (with the bowl) just couldn't fit.

My alternative is to install the Racor as an additional filter to the stock one, but with some worries :
1) It's redundant with 2 filters in a line.
2) Engine room is rather cramp and the genny in its soundproof box sit right in the middle of the wall obstructing the fuel hoses coming from the tanks,
I would have no choice but to divert the Racor installation 2 feet to the port side, thus In/Out 4 extra feet hose line.

Briefly, the schema looks like this: Fuel tank--->On/Off valve---->"Racor (extra 4 feet line)"---->Fuel pump---->Stock canister--->Injector

Will this schema works? Is the fuel pump strong enough to deal with an extra filter and extra hose line?

Appreciate your advices

Hi Makomark, yes I considered the PFF5510 with aqua bloc repellent agent, but for the peace of mind I would prefer something easily reachable
to perform periodic checking. RAC320R-RAC-02 provides an easy way with a bowl and drain plug.

Sam, the standard gasoline fuel filters rely on water removal via the element's absorbtion and gravity.
There is no cyclone or swirl affect with this style, as there is the the RACOR swirl/cyclone system

While this is a RACOR, it is a standard cartridge replacement....... not the true RACOR water separating style.

You can purchase the RACOR cartridge to fit your filter base.

All cartridges accept the metal bowl.

As for two filters in line..... I'd say a that one good primary is adequate, and that two in line would be unnecessarily redundant.

As for remotely locating a RACOR, and the extra 4 feet of fuel line....... this should not be a problem.

Thks Rick, Despite the weirdness of 2 redundant filters in a line, does this configuration harm the fuel system ? or can I go for it ?

Thks Rick, Despite the weirdness of 2 redundant filters in a line, does this configuration harm the fuel system ? or can I go for it ?
Make the RACOR the primary.... and you'll be OK.
However, with the RACOR (of the correct micron rating and GPH rating) as the primary, there's no need for a second filter.

If you have twins, I think that you'll want one for each engine.
The generator can share one.... since the Generator's and 350 MPI engine's fuel pump will "check" against back-flow.

That's how I set up my twins, and it has worked since.

Hi Rick, Yes I'll put a Racor filter per engine, and the genny will share the one installed for the port engine.

I'm about to order the Racor filters, In order to avoid doing anything stupid, need a last confirmation from you
My idea of installing a remote Racor (with bowl+drainplug) on each engine because the original merc stock filters are so near to the bilge floor and obstructed by various objets i.e; seawater strainer,
power trim pump, hoses etc..etc.. A real pain to reach them.

RAC320R-RAC-02 is a "10 micron/60GPH" filter, using 3/8" hose barb. Will it be ok for Merc 5.7L 350 mpi mag Horizon?

"Primary" means the filter nearest to the fuel tank in the line ?
If I just leave the "original merc stock filter" in place where it is currently without dismantling or whatsoever, it is ok?

Like this:
Fuel tank ----> Racor filter (remote) ------> fuel pump -----> original merc filter -----> injector

If I really need to dismantle the "original merc stock filter" cos of redunduncy, can I just remove it and connect a direct hose line.
Like this:
Fuel tank ----> Racor filter (remote) ------> fuel pump -----> direct hose line ----> injector

Thanks for your help.

Sam...................
RAC320R-RAC-02 is a "10 micron/60GPH" filter, using 3/8" hose barb. Will it be ok for Merc 5.7L 350 mpi mag Horizon?
This model should be OK.
The ports are 1/4" TP threads, which will get you to the correct barbed fittings.

"Primary" means the filter nearest to the fuel tank in the line ?
Yes, that's the way I'm using the term.

If I just leave the "original merc stock filter" in place where it is currently without dismantling or whatsoever, it is ok?
Like this:
Fuel tank ----> Racor filter (remote) ------> fuel pump -----> original merc filter -----> injector
Yes..... I believe so.

If I really need to dismantle the "original merc stock filter" cos of redunduncy, can I just remove it and connect a direct hose line.
Like this:
Fuel tank ----> Racor filter (remote) ------> fuel pump -----> direct hose line ----> injector
Not quite following you.
From the MPI fuel pump, this would be a steel line, since it's on the pressure side of the system.

As for the redundancy, I'd prefer not to, and I prefer an "off-engine" main fuel filter.... but that's your call!
It should not cause any problems.

Hi Rick, thks for the advice.

Not quite following you.
From the MPI fuel pump, this would be a steel line, since it's on the pressure side of the system.
I was wondering if I could dismantle the original merc filter (+ the base) and simple reconnect the fuel inlet/outlet with a hose. I'm sure that's not a good idea !.
Ok I'll leave the original merc filters there, logically the remote Racor would filter debris and water before they reach them.

You know, many boats in my marina suffer "water in fuel tank" problem, and strange enough, excepted a few outboards with Racor ou Sierra transparent bowl filter installed, most the cruisers do not have this dispositive.
Although we are not using Ethanol fuel here, "water in fuel tank" problem persist, maybe (not sure though) it's due to our climate with humidity peaking +90% RH all year round.

Will keep you uodate
Have a good day.

Back