Logo

Engine Problem with 1996 115hp ELPTO Mariner

bluegillhunter

I have a 1996 Mariner 115 h.p. ELPTO (serial # 0G405116). The motor ran fine up until it just died out on lake. I replaced all fuel lines / filter / diaphram pump / primer bulb assembly / spark plugs / engine harness. This engine runs on 2 cyclinders under 1800 rpms and 4 above that. The problem is when it goes from 2 to 4 in the mid range it acts like it runs out of fuel, if you squeeze the primer bulb it will come alive again and, if you run the engine above 3900 - 4600 rpms it will run all day with no problems. When you try to hold plan @ 3000 - 3200 rpms you have to be there to squeeze the bulb or it will die out. This engine is unmolested all factory set from original. Any suggestions :confused:

I have a 1996 Mariner 115 h.p. ELPTO (serial # 0G405116). The motor ran fine up until it just died out on lake. I replaced all fuel lines / filter / diaphram pump / primer bulb assembly / spark plugs / engine harness. This engine runs on 2 cyclinders under 1800 rpms and 4 above that. The problem is when it goes from 2 to 4 in the mid range it acts like it runs out of fuel, if you squeeze the primer bulb it will come alive again and, if you run the engine above 3900 - 4600 rpms it will run all day with no problems. When you try to hold plan @ 3000 - 3200 rpms you have to be there to squeeze the bulb or it will die out. This engine is unmolested all factory set from original. Any suggestions :confused:

Ahh a 2+2. They only run on the top two cylinders at idle. If it's not running right, Start with a compression test and then with a carb rebuild. DO NOT MIX UP THE CARBS. The bottom two do not have an adjustable idle circuit. After you check the compression and get the carbs cleaned, You will need the Link and sync directions and a feeler gauge.

I have the same engine in a 2002 model. The max WOT RPM are 5200. Mine only reached 4400 last year. Rebuilt the carbs...they were full of varnish sludge. Found one reed held open w/a chunk of fiberglass. The engine runs great now after a good carb cleaning.

Back