Logo

raw water pump

Fred n

Trying to get the pulley off of a raw water pump to change bearings. Have already damaged pulley, any suggestions? engine is a 1999 350 mag black scorpion

Trying to get the pulley off of a raw water pump to change bearings. Have already damaged pulley, any suggestions? engine is a 1999 350 mag black scorpion

Go to the local auto parts house and buy / rent the pulley puller for that one. Wish they had just done a simple keyed shaft with a bolted on pulley, but nooooooooo. This was cheaper to do on the production line.

Plus order a new pulley. Getting that one back to being true will take some luck if, at all possible.

In my early (cheapskate) years have tried all sorts of different things to remove pressed on pulleys, destroying them, before I smartened up and bought the puller set.

Last edited:
Suggestion:

If you have adequate space in front of the harmonic balancer, install a crankshaft pump..... and rid yourself of the belt driven sea water pump blues.

Go2Marine puts these on sale once in a while, for as low as $150, or so, and complete with new impeller.

No more belt side load tension, no more difficult impeller access, you rid yourself of one belt, and so on.

However, this works only if you have the space to install one.

Here's a retro-fit that was done on a later Merc 6.2 Horizon.

I think that his pump supply hose could have been routed a bit better, or perhaps a better choice in hose.

Go to the local auto parts house and buy / rent the pulley puller for that one. Wish they had just done a simple keyed shaft with a bolted on pulley, but nooooooooo. This was cheaper to do on the production line.

Plus order a new pulley. Getting that one back to being true will take some luck if, at all possible.

In my early (cheapskate) years have tried all sorts of different things to remove pressed on pulleys, destroying them, before I smartened up and bought the puller set.

Ordered a new pulley this morning. also went by the parts store and bought the puller as per your advice, should have thought of that before i bent the original with a gear puller. live and learn. thanks for the help..Fred

Back