Logo

Water pump question

dawgs

Regular Contributor
1998 Johnson 130. I removed lower unit. I changed the whole water pump. When I put it all back together I noticed there is a VERY SLIGHT gap between the plastic housing and the metal plate. I removed it and did it again. All the bolts are tight and the large o-ring is in place. The gap is right in the middle between the bolts. And when I say gap I mean its MAYBE the size of the thickness of paper. Is it ok? Or does it need to sit absolutely tight to the metal plate?

The ones I looked at last week appeared to be raised ( have a boss ) around 2 bolt holes.----That leaves a gap visible to the eye.

Did you find the raised " boss " around 2 holes ?-Not sure what you mean by asking that question about filing on these parts.-----Factory replacement parts are top quality and the file should be left in the tool box !-------Filing on parts will change clearance and " fit " of the parts and should not be done unless you are 100% sure you are correct.

Last edited:
I didn't look yet. But it seems to me that if its not a TIGHT fit then water will be pissing out around the plastic housing which will result in less water pressure through the motor. No?

Perhaps you should make an effort to see that there is nothing wrong !!----Take it apart and compare old to the new parts !!-----I have some 40 years plus experience and often see people who scoff at knowledge and expertise.-Read the above posts and learn from them.

Wtf are you talking about? I'm not scoffing at anything. I'm asking people with more knowledge then myself advice. I just do not want a problem after its installed. Is that slight gap acceptable?

Back