Logo

95 4.3LX Starter Issue

Aqautron

I have a 95 4.3lx Mercruiser.

I replaced intake Manifold along with new Carb. Intake Manifold had a 9 inch crack. It had rain water on the pistons along with the Carb body rusted and frozen.

Then when I went to start it I noticed the flywheel ring gear damage. The PO kept trying to start it with Hydraulic lock and chewed up flywheel.

So I replaced the Flywheel ring gear.

Yesterday had it all back together and tried to start and it. Starter turns it over and then the starter makes a load clunk.

I stopped let it sit for a min and then try again it starts to turn then clunk.

I tried three attempts and then closed it up. Just needed a break to stop and think about the Issues.

I have not messed with it just digging into Mercruiser Maint Manual and forums to get a clue.

I have read a few post about starter not engine into flywheel and that makes senses. AFTER MARKET STARTER.

I guess that seems to easy, but it might be it.

The other question I have, if my Timing is off could I have some early detonation?

At one point i did see a puff of smoke out of Carb.

One other area of concern I have, when I pulled the motor a noticed the PO had broken a starter mount hole.

They welded the mount hole (STARBOARD SIDE) and starter mounts just need to add washers. Not sure if starter might be pulling itself a away from flywheel?

I will need to investigate this as a possible issue.

Right now just brain storming any inputs would be appreciated.

FYI: I have removed Manifolds and pressure tested and no leak. Plus at this point I have no water going through motor.

Thanks....

Sounds to me like you have a proverbial "pig in a poke".... you may want to evaluate where you are (and how much has been sunk) vs getting a running used takeout engine. Between the water damage and the other "enhancements" that have been done, you may wind up much farther ahead...

BTW, a description like a "load (loud?) clunk" is really ambiguous and doesn't help us help you...give the best description you can and keep it a simple as possible.

2 ways to go here i think.

1- Pull the drive so when you try to crank it to make sure it not the drive that is locked up. Pickle the engine.

2- Pull the engine, you have to remove the drive also, use the engine as a anchor and buy another engine, used, new, or steal one.

excellent point about the drive being locked up....I was going under the thought that the flywheel was recently serviced so the engine was still out of the hull...

Back