Logo

Running carb dry.

jaseihc

Contributing Member
I run the carb dry on my MFS9.8A3 after every use.Would it do just as well to pull the plug on the carb
and drain the gas out?Ihave issues at the launch ramp i use with people waiting while i run the carb dry.
Thank you.
Jack.

Draining the carb dry for storage is the best thing you can do for your motor and wallet.-------Perhaps disconnect the hose as you are approaching the ramp.

run the carb dry. it is safer and easier. you can do it on the muffs when you get home. draing the fuel bowl is kinda ok....but you need to pull the fuel out of the idle circuits. that is where things get gummed up.

Years go I did that always on any engine I had. Along comes the built in oiling system, separate tank and I got to thinking about what I'd hurt. So I quit. That was about the time I was on another boating forum and learned of Sea Foam. I haven't run dry nor drained the fuel system since.

My engine is 11 years old. Last fall I decided to put in a new impeller and have a look at the carbs as I was having some performance issues. I have 3 carbs and all were absolutely spotless in the bowl. The Sea Foam apparently kept all signs of varnish and all out of the fuel supply. I did find my carb problem and it was a tiny piece of fuel line lodged in the high speed jet that apparently deteriorated after 11 years of usage.

So, man does what man wants with one's money and equipment. I'm just throwing this in as a look at what might not happen if you didn't drain the fuel.

However, if I had an engine that I transported on it's side, that would be a different story and may be where I started running dry when finished.

HTH,
Mark

Back