Logo

Chrysler 70 went silent after rebuilt

Chrysler70hp

Hi Experts.

I'm having a hard time getting my old Chrysler 1979 70hp outbord going again. It suddenly went silent on water and wont start again. It has previously been restored from scratch by professionals with excellent compression on all 3 silenders. It was fine at first and did work great but suddenly stopped. It cranks but thats it, the spark is fine,carb rebuit,dispurator and gas comes to the engine from the pump. I have been checking these things out again night after night! If I pour just a small amount of the oil/gas mixture into the silenders it cranks and backfires! The TDC is on the marking and everything seems to be right! The only thing I can thing of and I have not checked out after the rebuilt is the flywheel magnets and stator. Any Ideas experts ?

Kartman

Chrysler 70 1979 Model number 709H9A

Last edited:
Sounds like the flywheel key has slipped??What did you tourqe it to? Supposed to be 85-90#

I haven't removed it myself after the restore but I know the flywheel key has slipped before on this motor. I have to get a tool for the removal. If the magnet on the flywheel are ruined could it sound like my case here?

The same problem baffled me at one time.....turned out to be a sheared flywheel key. Everything looked like it should work, but if the flywheel has moved (thusly the timimg mark) your not seeing a correct timing.

BTW, when did they bring back the 70 HP rating? They had an early 70, then it went to 75. These 72 cubic inch motors were all over the map on HP rating, from 70 to 90, with everything but an 80HP being marketed. Anyone know of any carb or porting differences? Compression ratios? I'm told they were all good motors except for the 90's that popped rings due to a thin upper ring land or some such design flaw.

Back