Logo

steering a kicker when clearance is limited for tiller handle

radarmark69

I have a 16' Smokercraft with a 50hp Johnson and a 8hp Johnson kicker. When I need to turn left (to the port side) my tiller runs into the big motor. It does clear when the tiller handle is folded up, but that does not leave me ant way to steer. My query is there an attachment handle made to add to my J8RCUD 1987 Johnson 8hp motor that will allow me to steer while tiller is in the up position?

I have a 16' Smokercraft with a 50hp Johnson and a 8hp Johnson kicker. When I need to turn left (to the port side) my tiller runs into the big motor. It does clear when the tiller handle is folded up, but that does not leave me ant way to steer. My query is there an attachment handle made to add to my J8RCUD 1987 Johnson 8hp motor that will allow me to steer while tiller is in the up position?
go to parts section above, look up your motor and it will show all accessories for it..

go to parts section above, look up your motor and it will show all accessories for it..

Have looked and it does not show any accessories for steering alternative, at least I didn't see any. Was hoping that this motor had an optional handle , but guess not.

thanks for the reply

Have looked and it does not show any accessories for steering alternative, at least I didn't see any. Was hoping that this motor had an optional handle , but guess not.

thanks for the reply
ur welcome. I checked too and didn't see none. maybe try a different year and see if somethings compatible with yours????

I suppose it depends on what your doing when needing to steer the kicker. What I do sometimes with my 4.5 is leave it in forward position and steer w/70. if you have to make a lot of turns or up & done speeds it's difficult to use that method. You would have to snug up the steering some though.

Back