Logo

Unknown item in Water Pump Repair Kit for 15 H.P. Mercury Kit: 46-42089A5

tautog

The part is shown as one item of all parts in the kit but is not identified clearly in the list of components.
The part, I suspect, is some type of a grommet. It is black rubber, 5/8" O.D., 5/8" high, and an I.D. about 5/16".
The inside is conical in shape and there is a 3/16" dia plug sticking out at midsection of the grommet.
Anyone know where this item fits into or slides onto?
I'm at a standstill in reassembly of my engine.

Thanks for your assistance.

It sounds like this is the seal that you will find if you take the water intake screen off. It seals the lower end of the (short) water tube that connects the pump base to the outside water. It is easiest to install by taking the screen off and pushing it in from below....instead of trying to push it in from above. When the water pump base is reinstalled, the (short) water tube must be aligned with the seal (tapered end)....making sure the seal is not pushed out of position...may take several tries. Keep at it !!

It sounds like this is the seal that you will find if you take the water intake screen off. It seals the lower end of the (short) water tube that connects the pump base to the outside water. It is easiest to install by taking the screen off and pushing it in from below....instead of trying to push it in from above. When the water pump base is reinstalled, the (short) water tube must be aligned with the seal (tapered end)....making sure the seal is not pushed out of position...may take several tries. Keep at it !!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try and get back to you.

whitegreg56

Your suggestion was right on! The Mercury manual, nor the instruction sheet with the kit, made no mention regarding the item.
Had the old grommet come out with the water tube I would have seen it, but the grommet remained in the lower unit housing.
Thanks again for your assistance.
Tautog

Thanks for the information you provided, it certainly made my life easier. I now have the engine back together and all is well.
You're also correct regarding the tab on the side, it fits into a hole in the lower unit housing to keep the seal in place.

Back