Logo

bf8a

fiveeyes

read the 'mayo' post..same situation here..oil looks like coffee w/cream..is it water or fuel? ..is there a likely culprit? ..i realize that could be many, but would like to have a 'most likely' to start..bf8a..bzbc1402097.. thank you bill

Check compression. Also doing a leakdown test will help you locate the leak.

If the cylinders' compression is suffering, then it could be a head gasket.

If the cylinders' show good, then it could be a gasket on the intake manifold, engine base gasket, or even an o ring failure under the oil fill cover. See #16 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/1999/BF8AX%20LA%20/OIL%20PUMP/parts.html
The "O" in the o ring is around a water passage. Guess where the water goes if that part of the gasket fails? Yep...into the oil. Fortunately, this does not fail that much unless the oil fill is plastic and the engine has overheated. The plastic will tend to warp and let the water in.

Just a few thoughts.

Mike

thanks for the tips men..will look at both suggestions..must leave town to help a friend who has to have stomach surgery..sooo. will be gone for 7-10 days..absolutely will get back to you when i return...life just gets in the way of fun sometimes..again thank you bill

well finally back..changed oil..cleaned a reed valve in the crankcase ventilation..i think that is what it is,correct me if i am wrong please..cleaned carb also..a lake test was done and all seems well..ran well..we shall continue to monitor it closely..fingers crossed..thank you very much..question,where does one get a manual and what number would i look for..might as well get one...happy boating to all bill

re-read your post on oil fill o-ring..looks like one bolt,lower right, may not come out all the way..lower 'pan' is in the way...if i cannot remove it to change o-ring,what must i do? does the power head need to be removed? hoping not! ran motor 4 2hrs fri and oil is again milky and elevated level please advise thanks bill

I have a Honda apart right now to replace the O-ring seal around that plastic fill pipe arrangement.-----Took powerhead off as that is easier than doing this worked in a cramped space.

Racerone is right. The right way is to remove the powerhead. I have heard of some who have drilled about a 1/2"hole in the pan to get access to the bolt and give it room to come out. Then take a panel plug to put in the hole. If you take off the fill, check it for warping.

Mike

thanks 4 info..i did think about drilling a hole,not the best idea 4 sure..rather do it right the first time..1999 BF8A frame serial # BZBC-1402097...want a service man. have not had success finding one..is there a part #,what is it, where can i get it ? i assume a factory man. is preferred, but do not know. tried honda site and cannot find my serial #. help will be greatly appreciated bill

thank you hondadude and racerone 4 your help..your expertise is spot-on..called Helm,shop manual on the way,no supplement listed but should be the correct book(she said)..dove in and took motor apart..alot of work 4 oil manifold! ..BUT,i believe that the o-ring you pointed to was the culprit..ugly all around the water passage..all other gaskets seem quite good..put oil in glass,water in bottom after few hours..cleaned all..new parts ordered ! ..when parts and manual arrive and if i am successful w/re-assembly, i shall post results...thank you very much!! darn well made motor
P.S. any assembly tips greatly appreciated bill

update..took a while to get parts, but did get all..hondadude was spot on with his response in post #3..o-ring was bad..removed powerhead to effect repairs.. all gaskets, o-rings were replaced,new oil filter,fuel filter, and t-stat..two hour test yesterday..all is good no water in oil..Yay! manual was also helpful..thank you all, very gracious of you to help all who ask..i shall contribute any way i can as i learn more..again,thanks bill

Back