Logo

Blown 10-amp Fuse

mixman

4 hours on BF60A. 10amp fuse blows (when docking, of course). I don't have the manual in front of me but it's the #2 fuse that shuts down everything. Could it just have been a weak fuse? Should I look elsewhere for the issue or let it happen again before worrying?

what were you doing the second the fuse blew?were you operating the power trim for instance?were you shifting from froward to reverse?this fuse feeds power all over the place..from power trim relay to start solenoid to key switch....

I was docking, so it was either -n- to -r- or -n- to -f-. I can't remember which at the moment. No trim usage when it happened.

the first place i would look is around the key and the shift mechanism in the controls.. ...loose wire etc shorting or hot grounding...i would not ignore it...10 amp fuses normally dont just blow unless they themselves have a loose connection..

This is a very recent repower, so I would be surprised if it is at the helm. But stranger things have happened. I will start shaking cables and wires this weekend to try and replicate the issue. Thanks.

I think papyson is probably right on target. I do not know if your helm or hull is metal, but if the shifter, if mounted in the dash, does not have the proper size cutout, it is very easy for the 12v lead going to the trim button to short against the helm as it goes through the shifter mounting and the cutout. That will pop the fuse right now!

I would go ahead and do wiggle tests etc, but you should contact the dealer who installed it for them to check out. This is a safety issue.

As long as you have not modified their wiring (like tapping into the wiring for power for electronics, etc) it should covered under warranty.

Mike

Boat & helm are all glass. Shifters are from factory installation back in '02. Current dealer just swapped engines. But I will pull them off and inspect. Again, no issues with old 50s all these years, but I don't think they were as sensitive. I also don't remember them even having much in the way of fuses.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I think following papyson's advice resolved the issue. The insulation in this wire had been rubbed through. There was a little bit of corrosion, so I slapped some dielectric grease on it and then covered with liquid electrical tape. I'll keep an eye on it. If it gets cut through, I solder very well and keep an iron on the boat. We're also twin engine, so it's not a life-or-death situation.

IMG_20130412_181952_735.jpg

Back