Logo

Daytona 300

Big Gaz

Hi Guys & ladies of course,

I have a 1960 Century resorter 19ft here in the UK, the engine is a short block 5.7 litre chevvy badged as a Daytona 300. I think it is approx 275 h.p and I have the following info off the engine: Daytona D830 3858174 Engine 327GM cast between 1964 - 1967 i believe.

It has a rochester quadrajet carb and runs pretty well even though it still has the old points and condenser (2 sets of points in the distributer) which I had not seen before.

Can anybody tell me anything about this engine good bad or indifferent, I don't know why the engine is not the original as the boat spent most of it's life in Switzerland.

Thanks for any advice

Big Gaz:rolleyes:

Hi Guys & ladies of course,

I have a 1960 Century resorter 19ft here in the UK, the engine is a short block 5.7 litre chevvy badged as a Daytona 300. I think it is approx 275 h.p and I have the following info off the engine: Daytona D830 3858174 Engine 327GM cast between 1964 - 1967 i believe.

It has a rochester quadrajet carb and runs pretty well even though it still has the old points and condenser (2 sets of points in the distributer) which I had not seen before.

Can anybody tell me anything about this engine good bad or indifferent, I don't know why the engine is not the original as the boat spent most of it's life in Switzerland.

Thanks for any advice

Big Gaz:rolleyes:

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... It's a SBC, the most popular boat motor in the World,...

From yer post, it sounds like it's a 350 which was dressed with the components off the original 327,...

It could easily be up-dated further with electronic ignition, or a newer carb,...

That's the Beauty of the SBC, it's very Adaptable with alota interchangeabilities...

All Good, 'n No bad with SBCs that I know of...

Thank you for the update, sounds good.

I am considering a pertronix electronic ignition for it, are they the best?

Ayuh,... That's a Good system if the distributor housing is in good condition,...

Or,...
Search up the Delco EST for a complete electronic conversion...

EST also known as the Delco Voyager for searching.... I would recommend Delco over Pertronix .

The 3858174 casting number comes up for the small journal 327 cu in SBC, in/around 1964-1967.
Designed with a 3.875 in cylinder bore and a 3.00 in crankshaft stroke, compared to it's older brother the 283 @ .3.750 in × 3.00 in.

I am considering a pertronix electronic ignition for it, are they the best?
Short answer, NO, and in my opinion only...... and here's why!
The pertronix kit does ZERO to correct a malfunctioning or incorrect advancing mechanism due to age and wear.
Pertonix also uses Hall Effect triggering.
Hall Effect intrinsically is OK, but not the way in which Pertronix does it with their cheezy little plastic embedded magnetic triggering units.
This alone causes me to steer clear of these.
You'll do much better if you were to replace the entire distributor.... but again, in my opinion.

The dual points Mallory (I believe) was used primarily in the automotive applications during those years.
Your 327 engine (in a Marine application) needs the correct Marine advance curve, and secondly a good triggering system.
This also means a slightly more "conservative" progressive advance curve and TA, than what we'll see used for the Automotive engine.

EST = electronic spark timing, meaning that there is no mechanical advance.
All advance is done with electronic circuitry via the algorythm built into the micro-processor.

Today's EST units typically use "photo-eye" triggering.

Some of today's new mechanically advancing units will also use Hall Effect.

To my knowledge, Mallory does NOT use Hall Effect.
Mallory and uses either VR (variable reluctor) as with their YLM series, or photo-eye as with their YLU series.

The 3858174 casting number comes up for the small journal 327 cu in SBC, in/around 1964-1967.
Designed with a 3.875 in cylinder bore and a 3.00 in crankshaft stroke, compared to it's older brother the 283 @ .3.750 in × 3.00 in.

Short answer, NO, and in my opinion only...... and here's why!
The pertronix kit does ZERO to correct a malfunctioning or incorrect advancing mechanism due to age and wear.
Pertonix also uses Hall Effect triggering.
Hall Effect intrinsically is OK, but not the way in which Pertronix does it with their cheezy little plastic embedded magnetic triggering units.
This alone causes me to steer clear of these.
You'll do much better if you were to replace the entire distributor.... but again, in my opinion.

The dual points Mallory (I believe) was used primarily in the automotive applications during those years.
Your 327 engine (in a Marine application) needs the correct Marine advance curve, and secondly a good triggering system.
This also means a slightly more "conservative" progressive advance curve and TA, than what we'll see used for the Automotive engine.

EST = electronic spark timing, meaning that there is no mechanical advance.
All advance is done with electronic circuitry via the algorythm built into the micro-processor.

Today's EST units typically use "photo-eye" triggering.

Some of today's new mechanically advancing units will also use Hall Effect.

To my knowledge, Mallory does NOT use Hall Effect.
Mallory and uses either VR (variable reluctor) as with their YLM series, or photo-eye as with their YLU series.

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding. The information re the Petronix is taken on board, while the motor is running ok I may leave as is with the Mallory and keep an eye out for a new distributor that is electronic. The boat is a luxury that we use very little and spend more time cleaning and maintaining rather than running, she will only probably run approximately 40 hours per year, but she does need to start and run well!!!

Does any body know or can somebody tell me what I should set the points at, I have guessed at 20 thou and I think I set the timing at 6 deg BTC but if anyone has some accurate settings that would be great or better still can you recommend a workshop manual I could buy for this engine, maybe a car book with a similar unit.

Thanks in anticipation.

Gaz:confused:

Back