Logo

Putting in a kill switch

I have a 1976 35 hp johnson seahorse model 35el76g. Its eletric start and I put a tiller handle on it. I finally figured out that I had no spark thanks to the blue/white wire from the wiring harness. It was connected to #1 plug wire with a quick connect. So me being an idiot cut them and wired a kill switch in incorrectly and shorted out my soleniod. So I have since reconnected the #1 plug wire and have the kill switch wire unattached. To make a long story short I don't know how to wire the kill switch in everyone tells me to wire it to the blue/white wire problem is the wires from the #1 plug coming from the ignition assemble is dark blue/white and the kill switch wire from the harness is light blue/white. I can't figure this out. Do I run one end of the shorting switch wire to the kill wire from harness and then the other into the #1 plug wire? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

There are two wires coming down the right hand side of the engine from underneath the magneto plate. They terminate in a cluster of quick connects. If you look at the connects you should see that the wires are being doubled up, one is being split into two. So now you have four, or 2 pairs. One pair goes to the rear of motor and connect to the hv coils. The other pair is the kill circuit. When those two wires are CONNECTED you have killed the motor. When key is off, those two wires are joined. Turning key to run-start disconnects them.

A continuity check should prove all of the above is in order. If so, wire it up. Dark blue, light blue, whatever.

So to make sure I understand. attach one wire from kill button to wire coming from harness (kill wire) and the other wire from kill button to the two wires on the quick connect (which happens to be the #1 plug wire)?

thanks for your reply and you time

Kill circuit is 2 wires. The two wires coming from the magneto. Kill shorts the two wires. Both are dead ended when running, NOT shorted. Connected together when kill. Key switch will have 2 terminals usually marked as M (magneto) to facilitate this. They will test as closed (shorted) when key off and open when key @ run-start.

A kill button is the same. Two wires at button. Normally open, closed when depressed.

Remember these magneto wires are split into two pairs. One pair is kill circuit. Other pair is feed to hv coils. When you short the kill switch, you disable the hv coils.

Thank you very much for the help. Will take a look and get it put back in place. My dumb ass cut the quick connects off to try and wire in the switch. I guess I should have got on here first. Oh well live and learn. Once again thanks a bunch.
have a great day!

Back