Logo

Looking for a reliable, used 5-8hp outboard - any suggestions?

telecat

Please, make suggestions anatomically possible, ok? :D

The last time I owned an outboard was more than 20 years ago, a 4.5hp Merc, 2-stroke. Good motor though it had a lot of blow-by, I was not as experienced with things mechanical as I am now, and I'm looking for something that will be reliable, easy to get parts for and relatively easy to work on. I have worked on cars and light aircraft, so I reckon I can do this.

I'm looking at many brands, Evinrudes and Johnsons from as far back as the '50s but I worry about parts availability, Mercs and Mariners from as far back as the 70s, Nissans, Yamahas and Hondas. 7.5hp max.

Anybody have advice which will serve me well, given my requirements? It's going on the back of a 12-foot aluminum fishing boat on a small lake in MI so it doesn't need to be uber-fast but I'd like to get the boat planing when I want to move because of bad weather or other factors.

Please, I look forward to any and all answers. Thanks in advance.

Right now I'm in California but the motor will be located in west-central Michigan. I'm not looking to necessarily buy from anyone as I won't be able to do a transaction until July, but I wanted to know what the assembled thought might be the most reliable, affordable option might be. When I get the money I'm owed, I'll look on Craigslist in MI and other online sources, and see what's available but if y'all can be my "consumer reports" as regards quality outboards, that'd be awesome. They needn't be pristine, but I'm not interested in basket cases, either.

4 stroke, electric start. very little maintenance required. parts are readily available.....everywhere. personal experience. i just recently purchased a yamaha 9.9 for my fishing boat. it is a absolute dream.

I've been messing around with boats and motors, 25 ft and under, for a long time, so here are some random thoughts based on my personal experiences. Buying a used outboard is always problematic. Best to purchase from the original purchaser who uses and personally maintains his/her outboard. Don't fall into the trap of low hours. Low hours means low use, which is not good for any engine, especially an outboard. I've become a fan of four-strokes, but they are more maintenance intensive and heavier. The under 10 hp two strokes have served very well for a long time and have proven reliability. Besides that, they are simple and easy to work on - if there is fuel and spark, they will almost always run. Ninety percent of their problems deal with carboration and fuel issues. If you decide on a four-stroke, I think the small Honda's are better than the small Yami's, IMHO. They are both very good engines, but Honda has been doing the small engine four strokes longer than anyone.

Get the newest motor you can afford because of parts and maintenance issues. If you plan to do your own work, make sure you get the OEM shop manual - not the cheap after-market ones. I like electric starts because they are convenient, and they make maintenance and testing a lot easier. BUT, that is just another system that can complicate maintenance and repair. Given a 12 ft aluminum boat, you need to be concerned about weight distribution, so an extended tiller arm should be considered. Typically, you will want your fuel can and battery set as far forward as possible.

As for size - get the largest engine your boat is rated for - that is likely 10 hp. so narrow your search to the 9 to 9.9 hp motors.

Hope this helps.

Back