Logo

Advice Needed - what to look for when checking out a rebuilt Merc 7.4?

Andrew 45226

I am going to look at a Sea Ray 330 (1995) this weekend, and am interested in ensuring the engine/drives are in working order. I am mechanically inclined around cars but less so in boats, but want to first assess the boat myself vs. have a survey done.

The boat spent it's first 12 years in Florida salt-water. Then, moved to freshwater for the past 5 years. 4 years ago rebuilt engines (454's) were installed. It has V-drives, and had one drive rebuilt a year ago. Total hours are 750, with 200hrs on the "new" rebuilt engines.

Unfortunately, the owner does not have records for any of the engine or trans work, but has offered to let me talk to the mechanic who did the work.

What key questions should I ask the mechanic?
What should I look for when I am assessing the boat?
What tests can I do to evaluate the condition of the engines / transmissions?

Any help/advice is MUCH appreciated!

Welcome to ME.com

Assessing the engine is usually best done with a leak-down test...the gear can be assessed with an inspection and a sea-trial with a pressure gauge.

If you are investing serious money in this boat, you'd be wise to hire an accredited surveyor and let him assess the whole package.

Talking to the mechanic may or may not get you what you want...his recollection, unless written, may not reflect reality...

Back