Logo

General question about most outboard motors

fritzmerde

Good evening folks,
A friends BF100 was tuned up, according to him. I went over to his place to give him a hand mounting it on his sailboat. I walked into his garage & saw it laying down on the wrong side, how he missed the case protectors is a mystery to me. So it sat on the wrong side for the last couple of weeks. My question is what should we do about it? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to work on it & mess it up. Thank you in advance for your time

There is a possibility that oil ran into the cylinders.-----Put motor in it's normal running position.--------Good that you noticed this common mistake.--------Remove sparkplugs and look for oil.------Pull motor over and see if oil spits out the plug hole.---------------Check oil level in the sump, top up if needed. ----Start the motor , may smoke for a while.---Enjoy the sailing !!

Thank you very much for your quick reply. As far as my limited knowledge goes Honda is different from other outboards, I think that threw him off a bit. I'm mechanically declined so I figured I'd ask folks in the know. Basically I went with the oops my outboard fell off the transom routine. Something I noticed confused me a bit. My friend had the motor checked out & tuned up for the season by 1 of the reputable shops at a local marina. He didn't bother testing it or even checking it out, after picking it up I took a look at the oil dipstick hoping to see a small loss only. I looked at the oil & it was black. I'm no rocket scientist but I do know the difference between clean & dirty oil. I didn't say anything to him about it because he's used these folks for years & never had a problem. Is it possible that they didn't change the oil in it? Before I say something about it, is there any other way that the oil would or could be dirty? Thanks again for allowing me to pick your brain, I just don't get it.

Depends on the shop I would say.------If he did not ask for an oil change they may not have done it.---------First thing I ask is " What do you understand a tune up to be on a modern outboard "----------------If the oil was black it is because it was not changed , no other reason !

I pretty much agree with "depends on the shop" and "change the oil". Change the oil twice is good too, especially on this particular outboard. The reason I say that is because this one, the BF 100, has no serviceable oil filter. It does have a filter in the oil sump but you cannot get to it to clean it. So, frequent oil changes will help this engine live a longer life.

But, the main reason I wanted to respond, was to tell you NOT to use synthetic oil in this outboard. This particular engine was not engineered to run synthetic oil and, if you use it, you could have some seal failure.

Good luck and fair winds.

I'd just like to say thank you again 1 & all. I really do appreciate all of your help. I pulled the plugs, drained & refilled the oil, cleaned the carb stuck it on my sons little dingy. 2nd pull started the OB, very little smoke. Took her out for a quick spin up & down the bay, ran like a champ. Thanks for the help, if you have any questions about AH-64s give me a call

My only question about an Apache is how do you get invited for a ride??!?!?!?!! Although, come to think of it, when the rock n roll began to play I would probably want out as badly as I wanted in!:). Not for the faint of heart I'm guessing.

I will not get on any helicopter again. Went down six times in RVN and I don't even fly the damn things. Only reason I'm alive today is that I was fortunate to be riding with some outstanding pilots.

A=attack... H=helicopter... together with the number 64...especially... 64D= Boeing Apache Longbow!... The leanest, meanest, flying freedom machine the world has ever seen.

One of the very reasons that if a nation (North Korea for instance) owns 10,000 Russian battle tanks, they will be in some serious jeopardy if they get aggressive enough to gain the scrutiny of this helicopter and/or the A-10 Thunderbolt ll (warthog).

There! After suffering so many spam posts here recently, I had to get a little geo-political commentary off my own chest.

Sorry for not getting back to you but I was waiting for Korean bomb to drop-which we all knew would never happen. The A-10 is by far my favorite fixed wing bird, watching them come down the chute as a kid was a blast. The T-72 didn't do much, it would be interesting coming up against the T-90. To chawk_man, I certainly understand not wanting to get back into the blender again. I always taught my students what to do if you're going down in an airplane, no matter what the cause. Rotor heads were taught when the helicopter is going down---the difference between the 2, if & when. A fixed wing ac might go down somewhere along your career, the helo will go down without a doubt. Airplanes want to fly, by design all it needs is a good headwind and off you go, as for your everyday run of the mill blender-no way, no how, you beat the air into submission and hope for the best. Those great pilots you mentioned were my instructors & you're damn right-they were and are the best around

Roger that. Have heard them described as a bunch of parts all going in different directions in an attempt to defy gravity. But I've got to say, there was nothing better for moving troops from point A to Point B in the jungle, as long as you could find or make an LZ. If you want a really good look at what it was like in RVN, get a copy of Stength and Honor: America's Best in Vietnam by Terry Garlock. Terry was a Cobra pilot in RVN, and had a really bad shoot down. Several of the chapters in that book are no-BS stories of real rotor heads in that war. See: http://www.garlock1.com/

A good friend & super pilot buddy of mine is a health nut. It doesn't matter what's going on, where he is or what the wx is. He doesn't smoke nor drink & will not hesitate to give you a lecture about what you put in your mouth. Anyway we were hanger flying, he was eating 1 of those God awful rice cakes, so I ? why the health craze. So he was kind enough to share. He had gone in and picked up a few wounded marines & tried getting out of there. Long story short, after being shot down he was on the run for 3 days. no matter what he did or how fast he made his way through the bush they were there. He swore that if he made it out alive he never be in bad shape again-he's honored his promise.My dad did 2 tours there fun fun fun. So I have a 78 Honda bf100, it was running great. It has the kill switch next to the oil light on front so it was doing nothing so in my delusional mind I unscrewed the button & it was filled with corrosion, so I cleaned it out. Now it won't start, so did I do something to the kill switch, does it even have to be hooked up? Also, if I want to put in gear from N while off it will go into F but not R, if I pull it through a bit then it will go into R. Is there a switch or micro switch that is messed up? Any ideas, oh I almost forgot, the spring that was around the kill button is now in the bay-oops D.As* move. Any ideas thoughts or prayers would be a great help, thank you kindly sir

Roger that. That place made a lot of folks get religion, one way or the other. I know a bit about Escape and Evasion - two tours in the land of little green snakes as a grunt. Had only 59 days left on my first tour until the bastards finally got me. Got even on the second tour with the 1st Cav. Can still hear a Huey coming from five miles or more.

As for the kill switch - Not sure about your bf100, but on most outboards, when activated it completes a circuit that grounds the stator. Yep - that spring is probably what keeps the switch from making contact until the yoke is pulled. So it is an essential component for proper function. If you disconnect the wires from the switch, no ground, and it should start if that is the problem. Jimmy or Mike can confirm that if they jump in on this. BUT, having an operational kill switch on a small boat like yours is a very good idea, so replace it and make it a habit to use it properly. It's no fun to fall overboard and see your ride just go tooling along down the bay without anyone on board. That's why they are mandatory on PWC's.

Typically it is not a good idea to try to activate forward and reverse while the engine is not running - puts too much strain on the shift rod(s). If your engine shifts properly while running, then that is all that is needed.

BTW - Havent fished the Susquehanna flats for at least 40 years. Is it still as good as old times? I remember abundent schoolie rock, weakfish, flounder, and grey trout.

The only time I worry is when my kids are around, since that is most of the time I'll probably take it to a shop. Folks have been pretty cool about getting me motors & boats etc. since being robbed. It's hard helping kids out without equipment, but folks are sometimes surprising & come through especially for the BSA. 40 years, man you are old. It saw some rough times years ago as did most of the bay. Between pollution, poaching, over fishing & just general A-hole attitudes, the crabbing & especially the oysters were almost gone. The DNR, MSSA & many other private groups have put a lot of time & effort into bringing back the bay. As you know it all starts with the little fish, get them in & the big ones will follow. The problem with the flats is that everybody & their brother knows about it, it reminds me of Jaws when the reward was posted to catch the man eater. People are insane, they will line up to fish the same spots. The good news is that the fishing is good, but 1 problem has been the snakehead invasion it's open season on those bad boys & also flathead cats. Thanks for the intel, I'll disconnect the wire & see what happens, if it works I'll cut a spring from a pen-you never know. The kicker for my dad, after active & reserve time of 30+ years, he died at 59

Chawkman is right, just disconnect one of the wires to the switch. It will probably run. You may have to choke out the engine to stop it or reconnect the wire. Just be careful that it does not knock you on the floor if you grab it.

Enjoyed listening to your war stories. Most of my time was spent over 40000 ft except when I was flying in the RC130's in country.

Only helicopter ride I had in the military was during jungle survival, learning to evade and how to call the Jolly Green in for a pickup. That was pretty neat being hoisted up into one of those things. I can only imagine what it would have been like while being shot at while hanging in mid air.

In country we were only allowed to carry a 38 with 10 bullets....in our pocket. (like Barney Fife). If captured, we would have been considered spies. Hopefully, we were able to minimize the harm coming your way.

My hat is off to you guys.

Mike

Roger that on the S. Flats. I now fish in the middle Bay for the last 8 years - lower Potomac, off Smith Point, and up to the Solomon Islands. It's never really crowded down there, except on the opening day of spring rock season. The Lower Potomac, where I live (on the Virginia side) is especially serene - not much traffic at all. Seems like the Bay has stabilized since I moved back here, but still not as good as the old times. Oystering in our area is making a major comeback with the new hybrids.

Let us know if disconnecting the kill switch fixed your problem?

Mike - 40000 feet? Were you in the B-52's or flying CAP? Roger that on the .38. Most of the Army pilots hung those up and got themselves a 1911, CAR 15, or M-3 grease gun.

Wow you must be old too. 38s were standard issue, revolvers don't toss out brass-I guess that meant that we'd have a running gun fight. I recall an IG in rank inspection where they ask you questions about your MOS (AFSC for Hondadude.) So he asked me whatever, & moved down the rank & file & was at my 6 . He asked my buddy what the maximum effective range of his weapon was. The reply from my friend was, "shooting it or throwing it sir?" Everybody within ear shot busted out laughing, I think I almost severed my tongue trying not to laugh. I haven't seen a grease gun in years, man were they fun, as far as the 1911, I can't recall seeing anyone happy about losing it, NATO got to GO GO. You must have been flying E model Hercs. once the wings started coming off because of cracks in the wing spar they started parking them. You might be able to find your bird down in Fayetnam, Pope looks like a graveyard. Hopefully the oysters make a comeback, we're trying to get the scouts really involved in all the save the bay activities, be it building Osprey Nests or cleaning up shore line. Thanks for the advice, I'll disconnect the wire and see what occurs. Mike did you hop on the forest penetrater- tee hee, I said penetrate, & yes I'm this many (4 fingers)

Chawk_man,

I flew over 150 18 hour missions in RC135's in the Gulf of Tonkin, Laos, and Cambodia....although no one was there (according to Nixon). Spent two years in language, intelligence and survival training before I ever got on the job. Still don't talk much about it...my wife did not even know what I actually did while I was doing it. Basically, it was intelligence gathering, code breaking, early warning, enemy tracking, locating SAM sites, tanks, ground troops, and their aircraft. We knew a lot of their pilots by name.

By the way, we flew without any weapons while on the RC135...did not even have the survival gun in the survival kit with our parachute. Only carried a switchblade knife.

The missions, in country, on the RC130's, only lasted 10 to 12 hours.

Yes the helicopter picked me up on a jungle penetrator.

I know this is not the forum for this kind of stuff, but here is a link to a little more info...our missions were called Combat Apple. http://www.coldwar.org/text_files/rb47_rc135.pdf

Mike

Searching for an IPB, owners manual, anything related to an Clinton Apache model J9 1100 Serial 117054. My friend said it ran like a sewing machine last time it was used.?

Back