Logo

Kiekhaefer Mercury 40 4hp

ok so i have replaced my ageing merc 40 4hp serial 3162075 which puts it around 1971 vintage with my newer mariner, the merc was used a handfull of times last year and ran well enough but started to refuse to idle the last time i had her out,

i decided to update for reliability and ease of finding parts so am thinking of letting the merc go, she is in fair condition and has been looked after but im not entirley sure if she is collectable yet or should just be sold as a 40 year old motor with idle issues.

does anyone have any ideas on what she may be worth or an average asking price?

i know theres a wealth of info between the users on here so look forword to any advice nor help with this.

cheers.

Hmmmm, 40 year old (make that 42 year old - it is a 71) single cylinder 4 horse - Tillotson carb (1st model used by Merc) - parts been discontinued since I was a kid helping my dad in his shop. Phasemaker ignition - improvement on the Phelon and even called a Thunderbolt despite having points - but definately not "solid state".

Can't find a carb kit even from my best sources and don't even look for an ignition component - yep...

You could restore it cosmetically and it would make a great decoration or tear it apart and sell the parts for others trying to keep theirs going (probably more money in that than selling it whole).

Not trying to be mean, but this is the kind of motor that I value by it's scrap value - weight x daily spot price for scrap aluminum - so today say 40 lbs x 80 cents...

If someone offered you 100 bucks I would take it before they change their mind..

thanks for that graham, as i say its been replaced with a 4hp mariner so it is now surplus to requirment, the merc does run and since posting i have given the carb a good clean along with checking the fuel pump etc and she is idleing ok now and pumping water well so i will probably advertise her as a runner,

hopefully someone will take her on and keep her going, i love seeing the old motors being kept alive.

thanks again for the info.

Back