Logo

tohatsu m40d catches fire

Gav

Hi Everybody,
I have a 2003 m40d tohatsu it has been a great engine my boat got vanalised in at the start of the year broke the control box bought new one and all good, I recently had it serviced by a mobile service tech, took it for a run and it started to loose power just past half throttle. Never had a issue with it, thought hmmm, will take it to my local tohatsu dealer see if it can sort out the issue as it would idle fine run perfect up until just after half throttle it would bog down.

Went to pick it up from dealer this is what they found inspected fuel lines,filters and tank and found fittings, found pinched O-ring @fuel filter, female fuel fitting at outboard original and seals appeared flat replaced. O- A replaced O-B replaced. new tohatsu fuel fitting. this was done 8/3/2013. Haven't been able to take it out due to work.

Yesterday being a long Easter long weekend thought right perfect weather perfect conditions free time i will take the boat out on the river.

I backed the boat down in to river parked the car up, come back to my zodiac connect the fuel line prime the bulb and gave it a flick of the ignition.
Didn't start on first strike gave it a minute when to start it again and not start wife and my son that was in the boat on the edge of river knee deep water said why isn't it starting as this motor has always started on first flick of ignition.

I went to prime the bulb and it was nice and firm flicked the ignition and it started within seconds smoke came flying out the back of the cowling cover i quickly turned off the ignition pulled of the fuel connector lifted the cowling cover and yes it was on fire between put the flames out with water from the river by cupping my hands as by the time my wife past me the fire ext, it had put the fire out.

This was a scary thing to happen and guys my only failure was that this was the first time i hadn't started it at home before leaving home. Or since having it to a service dealer.

What is ones opinion that has caused this to happen I have attached some photos and would love to have your opinions on what one would do,???.

I would love your opinions what to do next???

Attachments

• CAM00054.jpg
    CAM00054.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 80
  • CAM00055.jpg
    CAM00055.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 116
  • CAM00056.jpg
    CAM00056.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 122
  • CAM00057.jpg
    CAM00057.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 96
  • CAM00059.jpg
    CAM00059.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 80
  • CAM00060.jpg
    CAM00060.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 75
Hmm. Possible poor connection at the solenoid... could cause overheating of the wire there... and resulting in your cooked wire. I would see what the dealer has to say.

Back