Logo

115hp ThunderboltI

TRIFEY

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to boating and purchased my first boat that came with a 115hp Thunderbolt. Can someone help me find what year the motor is. Serial# 7179260.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Canadian built ??-----If yes then it is a 1981 model.------An excellent motor if it has been properly maintained.---------But most folks just know how to turn the key and hope that it starts.----------How long have you owned it ?

Canadian built ??-----If yes then it is a 1981 model.------An excellent motor if it has been properly maintained.---------But most folks just know how to turn the key and hope that it starts.----------How long have you owned it ?

Thanks for letting me know. I live in Ontario so I assume its Canadian built. I've owned it for almost a year. The only issue I have is a bit of a hard start. But I think that's normal. I'm mechanically enclined when it to cars but I'm starting to learn how to work on boats and outboards.

There is something wrong with the motor or the starting procedure if it is " hard to start "----It is not normal for one of these to be hard to start !!

There is something wrong with the motor or the starting procedure if it is " hard to start "----It is not normal for one of these to be hard to start !!

I hope there nothing wrong with the motor. It might be my starting procedure. Because after I get it started and the motor is warm. It's really easy to start. Just one turn of the key.

Many people today are not well versed on starting of engines of yesteryear.----They are now used to computer assisted " push the button " cars.--------On an older outboard you need to know / understand what is happening before you turn the key !!!

Many people today are not well versed on starting of engines of yesteryear.----They are now used to computer assisted " push the button " cars.--------On an older outboard you need to know / understand what is happening before you turn the key !!!

Can you tell me what's the proper procedure when starting the motor. I want to make sure I'm doing it properly.

before you turn the key all the way over, push the key in, you'll hear a click, that's your choke solenoid. Hold for 10 sec before turning it over. You also want to make sure you keep your carbs clean. Run it dry every time, (turn off or disconnect fuel it engine dies.) Also, get yourself a manual. You can get one on this sight or from a variety of other sources.

Holding the key in for 10 second does very little.--------Motor should be ---CRANKING OVER----- with the key pushed in !

Back