Logo

Please help me! What are your thoughts on my 1987 Mercury 45hp Classic Firty issues

mikeymike

Hello guys I am new here and want to try and get your opinion on what the issue is on my motor. I just went down to Oklahoma and purchased a 1987 Pontoon boat because the ones around the Wichita area were pretty crappy that I found for the 5000 dollar range. Anyway I drove 3 hrs to get this boat and the actual boat was in awesome shape with new deck, carpet, and upholstery. But when we went to start the motor it started right up and we were waiting for the water to come out of the pisser or whatever you call it. It was not coming out so we shut it down and tried to see if it was clogged and so we tried again and nothing and then I see water coming out of the exhaust just a little bit, so I pulled the lower unit oil drain out and you could tell there was water in it. So I kind of took a gamble and am hoping that it is just a bad seal and needs a new water pump. I would really like your guys help to maybe let me know where I need to start to figure out what is wrong. I know probably tearing the lower unit apart but just want to see if there is something else that I can check before doing this. I am not a boat mechanic by any means but I have tore a lower unit apart before to replace the prop shaft that I had bent and ended up taking it in to the shop to have them put it back together so that I could make sure that it was all put together properly. Please help me! any help or response would be great.

Well I took it into the shop in my home town, and they said that it was a bad water pump and seals. So I had them change the water pump and seals and they quoted me $370.00 to do the work and including the parts. I go to pick up the boat and they wanted to charge $560 for it. Well we talked about what they quoted me and nocked off $80 labor. Anyways I just took it out for the first time today and it is not pumping water and oil coming out the vents in the side where the water is sucked up into the water pump. Something is definitely still wrong! seams like maybe the housing is cracked in there somewhere. It has been a very frustrating day since my break lights on my truck are not working and could not figure that one out either.

For that amount of money, take it back and make 'em fix it right this time. Threaten them with a law suit if they don't.

Jeff

Well the boat mechanic just called and said that i ran it out of the water and it melted the pump and seals and ruined the housing. I did not run it out of the water and I am really pissed off now. I did start it up several times trying to get it to pump but I let it cool off each time. Now what do I do?

Many variables here. There may be a blockage in the powerhead. Sand, sediment or piece of old water impeller. I'm assuming this mechanic is not an authorized Mercury repair center... Once an impeller is replaced, a good repair shop will tank test the motor for proper water flow. Yes, some water should exit the exhaust leg and the pee hole. If you can't do the work yourself, find a reputable MERCURY repair center. After you have it repaired correctly you can try to sue the guy but it will probably cost you more than it's worth.

They said that they tested it and water was coming out. But before I had gone and picked it up they told me that they couldn't get it to idle and I needed the carbs rebuilt. Makes me wonder if they even got it started the first time

update for you fellas.

Okay fellas, I finally got the boat to run pretty good with ear muffs on at the house. When I took it out yesterday it started up fine and idled like it is supposed to. I got out past the buoys and gave it some more gas and started to go pretty good so I just set it at a low cruising speed and just kept an eye on it. I went out a little ways and then shut it off and made sure it wanted to start back up. Looks like everything is going good until, I did the same thing a few more times. After a while when I would give it more throttle just like before, but this time it acts like it is losing power and I also hear a grinding noise when I try and hammer the throttle down.
Does anyone know what this might be?
Thanks for all of your guys help getting me this far. I am learning a lot more about outboards along the way, but I would like to enjoy some time on the lake instead of time in the driveway.

Thanks
Mike

50:1 is what I am pretty sure I mixed it. I could have screwed that part up. Would that make it knock or grinding sound? Or make it stall

I think I am very close to getting a decent running motor now. I have changed the float needles in the carbs and did a good cleaning to them. I have also replaced all the fuel lines and took it out this weekend and it run great up to about 4000 to 4200 rpm and if I give it more throttle it kind of falls on its face. Once I get this fixed I think I will be on my way to some summer time fun. The prop has this number on it. 48-73132-10

Back