Logo

Filling lower unit and reservoir

Dano911

Hello every quick question , I'm filling my lower unit (alpha one ) today I also have a reservoir by the motor . When I see fluid coming out of the top vent hole do I then put both plugs in and add rest of fluid from top reservoir ? Or do I put put in top screw (vent screw ) and keep pumping from bottom until Gear lube fills the reservoir ? BTW every thing has been drained no oil in reservoir or lower unit.

Thanks in advance Dano911

Fill the outdrive until gear lube comes out of the vent hole then put plugs back in. Fill reservior and run the boat for at least 1/2 hour to one hour. The resevoir will most likely empty to about 1/4 full, add additional gear lube to fill line after that.

There is no need to drain the entire system when servicing.

I typcally only drain the outdrive. I used TAPED jawwed vice grips and lightly pinch the oil line coming out of the resevoir, allow outdrive to drain, refill, run for a while and fill resevior if needed.

Ayuh,... On the Gen.IIs with the oil bottle, I fill from the drain til it comes out the vent, put the vent plug back in, 'n continue til the bottle is to the full line, myself...

Thanks for the response, i have a question after reading your'e last line. I bought some amsoil 75W - 90W and filled the reservoir halfway up and took out vent and oil plug and hoping to flush the system with the amsoil but the reservoir has stayed at the same level and nothing is draining from bottom any idea ? r is this normal? Thank you again in advance you guys are great.

Back