Logo

Bravo 1X problem shifting forward

Hello everybody,
I have a Steyr 250 diesel coupled with Bravo 1 X stern drive. Approx. 550 running hours.
When starting forward, I have a pause of a few seconds before it actually engages starting forward. Serviceman told me it should be re-sanded the seat clutch - the same happened after 300 hours of work, but I assume that the reason was the rope wrapped around the propeller. Serviceman claims that there are no adjustments and it's a normal thing, but it seems to me that it happens too often. Engine revs are between 700 and 800 at a minimum, starting back normal, clasping immediately with a distinctive sound.
Sorry for my english

Your "serviceman" is right. The cone clutch needs service. After it is serviced correctly it shift cable needs to be adjusted correctly. Make sure you have Quick Silver or Mercurys High Performance Gear oil in your drive.

Your "serviceman" is right. The cone clutch needs service. After it is serviced correctly it shift cable needs to be adjusted correctly. Make sure you have Quick Silver or Mercurys High Performance Gear oil in your drive.

OK, thank you. Is this a normal procedure after 500 + hours of operation? I use the boat for my private needs and I don't make a lot of maneuvering. I can be wrong, but I have the impression that the mechanic is not paying too much attention to some details (nothing to adjust he said). Here, where I live, every mechanic is telling me the same story. Can you instruct me how to properly adjust the cable or where I can find instructions for this? I'am always using above mentioned oil, and every 100 hours I change oil, screws and gaskets on screws..

Re: Wow!

Spanner Wrench For L-18 U-joint Bearing Retainer 91-862219.
Replacement Pin Set For L-18 Spanner Wrench 91-862218.
http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser28/pages/page_h104.swf
http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser28/pages/page_l122.swf

When or if he puts the drive back together, make sure that they use the Torque Conversion Chart for the U-Joint retainer nut tool in the service manual and not just torque the retainer nut down to 200 lb ft.:eek:
Mercruiser service manual #28, Part number 90-8631601.

Good luck.:)

thank you, I need luck. Well, this is definitely last job that I gave to this Mechanic. Be aware, he is authorised for Merc. @Chris (Dockside Marine Services) I have found that, using above mentioned tool, there was about 10 milimeters less "push" for the cable when I insert forward. I will recheck after mounting the drive back.

Another interesting thing! Except the above mentioned services, I did not change anything else, and I have the same boat speed with 200 rpm less :eek:. Do you have a reasonable explanation? The bottom of the ship was completely clean last year, when I tested, as it is now. Same person, same fuel quantity, same sea state..

Back