Logo

jumping out of gear

nicholas

i poasted about this several weeks ago..1977 evinrude 25 hp still jumping out of gear forroward gear. i've made adjustments but still no luck..if i take the shift cable off and it still jumps out of gear would that tell me my trouble is with the craddle and clutch dogs..thanks for any advice..nick

Dismantle the gearcase and check the lugs on forward gear and dog. Most likely rounded and needs to be replaced.

i will put it back in the water as soon as i can to try it with the shift cable unhooked and if it still jumps out i will look into the gears..the prop is a brand new one. it came with the boat when i bought it still in the box. guys i really appreciate all this help..n ick

let me add one more thing..when it jumps out of gear its only for a split second then in a few more seconds it will do it again this is at full throatle at half throatle it dont do it as much..thanks again

ok thanks thats what i wanted to hear. if it dont rain this weekend i will take lower unit off..i was pretty sure thats where my trouble was but just wanted a conformation. i will post back what i find..thanks again...nick

Back