Logo

1987 125 impeller replacement

jlb7244

Anybody have any tips on replacing the impeller on my 87 125 like parts needed or how to get it apart. I have done evinrude in that past but never a force.:confused:

I'm in the middle of one of these right now. I just picked up the water pump rebuild kit for my buddy's 86 Force 125. It took a mercury Quicsilver part number FK1069 from marine engine.com for $99.91. Yours is probably the same. I unbolted the lower gear case. There was one hidden bolt at the exhaust port. I also had to disconnect skinny little shift linkage rod. It then came apart easily. There you will find the at the bottom of the shaft. I was told to coat the impeller and housing with a little vasoline to to prevent burning also always have water on when running. Piece of cake. Good luck!

When putting back together, turn the driveshaft clockwise when you push the impeller housing down over the impeller, it's a tight fit. You should get the kit as mentioned above, it replaces the old "boot" type shift shaft seal with a much improved "donut washer" type seal. If that seal breaks, you get a TON of water inside your lower unit, like mine did.......

and don't over tighten the little impeller housing nuts...they dont need to be that tight as there is water inside the impeller housing anyway..you can crack the plastic housing easily by over tightening.

You replacing the whole pump or just the impeller? Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help. Go to iboats . com and the Force section and the first or second post covers impeller replacement. It's a tight fit so like someone suggested grease it up and as you push the cover over the impeller turn the driveshaft. It doesn't matter which wy the blades go. They will go in the right direction the first time it starts.

I'm in the middle of one of these right now. I just picked up the water pump rebuild kit for my buddy's 86 Force 125. It took a mercury Quicsilver part number FK1069 from marine engine.com for $99.91. Yours is probably the same. I unbolted the lower gear case. There was one hidden bolt at the exhaust port. I also had to disconnect skinny little shift linkage rod. It then came apart easily. There you will find the at the bottom of the shaft. I was told to coat the impeller and housing with a little vasoline to to prevent burning also always have water on when running. Piece of cake. Good luck!

My 87 water pump as far as I know has never been touched. Jspinola said he had to disconnect the shift linkage rod? is this like an evenrude located just below the carbs? or at the lower unit. And yes I know its a tight fit and use vasoline to lubricate before running. One other question since this is the first replacement of the impeller should I get a kit or just the impeller?

Most of the time the impeller is all you need.--------If running near a sandy beach then sand may get in and wear the housing.----------Most shops will install a complete kit as it saves " parts ordering / run around time " but do it yourself is different.

Not like an evinrude. The shift rod linkage is in front of the gear housing.It's held together with a small cotter pin. Remove the pin and the shift rod pin and the drive will drop(if all the other bolts/nut are out)

Thank you racerone and Jerryjerry05 for your advice but I did decide to get the kit so I will have any parts I might need to get it done on the first try. I did find the pin on the shift rod, and any more advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Back