Logo

1989 4.3 starting issues persist

shawn1

Okay. Here's what is happening. Engine turns over great, plugs coil all distributor components are new. I have cleaned and reconnected every connection in the system. The carb has a fresh rebuild and I emptied the fuel tank and has fresh fuel. Oh also new ignition switch. Now if I run direct power from battery to coil+ 9 times out of 10 it will fire good and start. Without this wire, very doubtful that it will start at all but has before if you hit the key real fast. The coil wire is throwing spark a good three quarters of an inch. Looks like a lighting bolt hitting steel lol. So it would appear there should be plenty of spark. Also if I put throttle all the way down it seems to help. Is there a switch that is activated by doing that? Any help would be great. Thanks.

89 should have a safety lanyard kill switch, has someone bypassed it and now it is intermitent? with you hooking up batt voltage to the coil and its running 9 of 10 times, i would be checking if you have power at the coil with the key on, if its low voltage i would look for a bypassed switch that has corroded and not letting voltage to the coil. if this came with points i would also check for a bad ballest resistor.

Both of these are real possibilities since I have not chexked either. The kill switxh is right next to the key correct? Kinda looks like a fuse fest switch? And would you be able to tell me the locatiin of the ballast resistor wire? Is there a way to check this oris it as simple as making sure its hooked up properly? Thanks again will get back with ya when I have a chance to they these couple ideas.

Back