Logo

Honda BF130 Worthless?

kimeosky

I am the unfortunate owner of a Honda Outboard 130. I have been told that it has a cracked head or cracked block and there is evidence of water on the cylinders. I have also been told that parts are no longer available, so repair is not a possibility. I'm having a hard time accepting this. Any ideas?

Model # -----Serial # -----year ??---------------I have a 130 HP as well, picked up cheap as I assume owner bought /wanted a new motor.------Have not had time to investigate whether it will run or whether there are major problems.--------Some manufacturers are now so big that they can advertize their way to " market share " and reputation does not matter anymore like it did in the old days.-----------Who says parts are obsolete ? -----would you be doing some of the work yourself ?

I am the unfortunate owner of a Honda Outboard 130. I have been told that it has a cracked head or cracked block and there is evidence of water on the cylinders. I have also been told that parts are no longer available, so repair is not a possibility. I'm having a hard time accepting this. Any ideas?
Accept it. I have a few Honda 130 heads. They are all rotted thru. It was cheaper for the boat owners to replace the whole engine with a newer used engine than do the repair.

BF130A. BZBE1100620 Four Stroke. Year 2000. It was a marine mechanic that told me that parts are not available. Honda service bulletin #27 covers this problem.

Go to -----------iboats.com---------Find the Honda parts listing and see if a complete head or just the head casting is available or not.--------E-Bay is also a scource , but it is a " buyer beware " type of place.

The head casting has not been available for a while but I am told that the parts are available now, but you have to buy the head casting and all the pieces and build it. No complete heads are available anymore from Honda. As Dockside said, if the cylinders are scored, then it is a complete rebuild.

Mike

When the owner has all the available information at hand he can decide what is worthwhile doing.--------Need to gather all the facts------------Cost of parts / engine run time / lower unit condition / compression / cylinder condition / whether parts from the existing head are useable and whose time needs to be paid.-------If owner has expertise and is doing the work himself then it may well be a good project.

Tell me your story Kimeosky. I have the same issue. What are you doing at this point?

Hi Kimeosky. My name is Tim. I was told by a marine mahanic the motor that the Honda 130 outboard uses is a motor from a minivan. Im not shore if this in right or not. Ask.
I had a look on the net. Hondworld. 03-95487077 Estern Australia. Sydney

Hi Kimeosky. My name is Tim. I was told by a marine mahanic the motor that the Honda 130 outboard uses is a motor from a minivan. Im not shore if this in right or not. Ask.
I had a look on the net. Hondworld. 03-95487077 Estern Australia. Sydney
You're right! I was able to find a cylinder head gasket from Oreilly auto for my Honda 200, I believe it came off an oddesy.

WHOA there! I do not know the origins of the 130 engine, but the 200 and 225 are based on the Honda J35A3 block, which is normally in the Odyssey and some Acura's. It would be pretty darn off if that is the same head gasket as in the 130. Personally, I would not even go there.

The marketing literature indicates that it is based on a Honda Accord engine. I have no idea if the parts are interchangeable.

Mike

I do know that way back when I had a Mercruiser 120 (based on Chevrolet 4 Cyl engine) that an automotive (less cost) Head Gasket would fit, but the Marine Replacement Head Gasket was different material, designed to resist corrosion from raw water cooling.

The steel used in the automotive gasket would soon rust away, resulting in another blown head gasket.

Many other 'automotive' parts would also fit, but should not be used in a Marine Environment like the fuel pump, carburetor and other components (some electric components had special shielding to prevent a 'spark' from causing a disaster).
Art

Welcome to the club of unhappy Honda 130 engines owners. As much money as I've spent on repairs for those 2 engines, I could've probably bought new ones. Parts are extremely hard to find and there are no new parts.

Replace with part no:12201-ZW5-020ZA or 12215-ZW5-020ZA the 1st no: the cylinder head comes with no cam or valves the 2nd no: cylinder head comes with cam and valves .then replace cylinder head gasket with part no:12251-ZW-023 .then replace with 60 degree thermostat part no:19300-ZY3-023 .the cylinder head has been improved by Honda they machined the water jackets to improve the water flow .I fitted these parts to my motor .

Back