Logo

1987 Mercruiser 470 vs. earlyer model 470

lashad

Good afternoon to all
I am in process of purchasing 1986 Carver Santego with twin Mercruiser 470 with under 200 hours.
Both were rebuilt in 2009

I have heard many positives and negatives about this motor, but it also has been indicated that later models (like one above) are much more efficient with less issues.

This is a fresh water boat and with lower units.

Any comment would be appriciated

Sincerely

Ayuh,.... Postin' the exact same question in more than 1 forum does Nothin' but lead to confusion,...

As I said in yer thread in the Merc forum,...

470s Suck, regardless what vintage...
They're Unsupported Antiques....

What about once with 4.3 liter six cylinder

Ayuh,.... Yer topic is the Motor, not the boat,....
The 470 has been known by many names, but they're all 470s.... Antique Junk,...

The 4.3l is just another Solid motor built by Chevy,...
'bout the same as All the millions of SBCs stuffed into boats since the late 50s,...

Ya probably can't swap in 4.3ls where those 470s are, 'cause usually the motors are too close together to switch to V-motors...
That'd mean closin' in the transom, 'n cuttin' new holes further outboard...

Also considering where i live we do not expect to put more than 30 to 40 hours each year.
I just sold my openbow and after 5 years we only put 150 hours on it.

thanks

People come to this site for our professional opinions. Why is it when we all strongly recommend that, anyone looking to purchase a boat, stay away from the 3.7 Mercruiser I/O, they buy it anyway?

Ask qualified professional there opinion and then follow the advise of your mailman.

I call that, "Asking around until you get the opinion you want to hear"

Actually, purchase the boat. You will make your local marine mechanic very happy.

Lashad, I can understand you wanting to receive support towards this 470 powered boat purchase. But regardless of the delivery here, the guys are giving you the straight skinny.
I too agree with them.
Even if you intend to put low hours on this, potential issues will kill you.
It's just not worth it. Stay clear of this engine!

BTW, this is Merc's own aluminum block 3.7L engine with steel cylinder sleeves.
The bore/stroke is similar to the 460 Ford. The cylinder head is a 460 Ford.
There are OEM charging system issues, there are issues with the seal between camshaft/engine circulating pump impeller, voltage regulator issues, the starter motor and drive ratio are unique to this engine making these proprietary parts $$$$$$.
This was a "short lived" engine. Had these been good, Merc would have continued with them.

If you have the option to purchase the same or similar boat with the GM 4.3Ls, that would be a much better decision.

If in/around 1986... or even later for that matter......, I'd suggest that you stay with either Merc or Volvo Penta.

Ayuh,... Don't lose any sleep over it,...

He's now got a thread goin' over at iboats, where he found somebody to tell him what he Wanted to hear....:rolleyes:

Back