Logo

Volvo MD11C MSx reverse gear

cedmunds

Hello all,
Sorry for the long post but I have several questions.

1. I have a 1977 vintage MD11C in my sailboat with (I thought) an MSB reverse gear. Recently I bought some used (MD11C adversised) parts off the internet one of which is supposed to be a MD11C reverse gear. Surprise this reverse gear does not look exactly like mine in its exterior appearance. Everything else looks the same as mine with the following exceptions.

The way my reverse gear looks installed:
On the starboard side it has an oil filler cap with a dip stick attached. There is no other separate oil dip stick.

The way the used one I purchased looks facing as if to be installed: There is an oil filler cap on the Port side (opposite from where mine is located) with no dip stick attached to it. There is also an additional separate dip stick on the starboard side. Nothing in my MSB manual shows a separate dip stick.

So now I am wondering about both what I have and what I bought used? I can find no identifying marks stamps etc. on either of the reverse gears.

Do I have installed an MS or MSB reverse gear?
What did I buy an MS or MSB or some other type Volvo reverse gear?
Maybe I bought a reverse gear that was from one of the older MD2b volvo engines and that earlier reverse gear had this extra dip stick? Most importantly are the interior parts (gears etc) interchangeable between these two reverse gears?

2. What I can tell about the reverse gear I bought without taking it apart such as is it likely to be in working condition. When I move the shift lever through its positions I get a good solid "click" at each position...I think this is a good sign? When I remove the oil filler cap and look inside the gears are bright and shiny and appear to still have a light coating of oil.

3. What should I do to preserve the interior of this used reverse gear. I was thinking to add some marvel mystery oil through the oil filler hole and roll the gear around to get a good coating on the inside. Good idea? Bad idea or what is the best thing to do to preserve the interior gears and mechanisms?

Thanks in advance
carole

Back