Logo

Prop won't spin in forward or reverse

Oldboatguy8911

Contributing Member
89 evinrude 200hp v6 .On the way back to the launch I noticed a knock or a click of some type. So I stopped and put her in neutral to listen to just the motor, no knock or click heard. So I put her in forward and she bogged down when I accelerated (just had the carbs rebuilt) so I cranked her back up. Put her in gear and just sorta slow rolled her. Hearing the knock or click again so I assumed it was something in the foot. I gave her a bit of gas and then BAM! I felt something give and a lot of vibration so I immediately took her out of gear and cut the engin off and trolled back. I got her out of the water, I see no oil around the foot, but when I put her in gear the prop will not spin in either direction for forward or reverse. What has happend and pleaser tell me it's not the worst case scenario

Does it spin in neutral? There would definitely be something wrong if it did spin in gear when not running. I suspect you'll find the problem on the end of the oil drain screw ... :(

Sounds like it's gonna be expensive?? Take the prop off and remove the bearing carrier. that will tell all. Oh yea drain the oil first.

I'm taking it to my boat guy today to get him to look at it, will post what the conclusion is later, also in the drain oil am I looking for metal shavings?

Yes the water pump was brand new! I dropped the boat off. I will know later today what the damage is. If anyone has a lower unit laying around for it would be great! When I know the damage I will let you guys decide wether or not I should find a lower unit or if I should get the work done.

Got the estimate. $800 for a used lower unit completely overhauled.

He said the whole foot is locked up, gears are stripped and he can't get the v clip off . He said it is tore up Bad going to look. He said the problem had to of been going on for quite sometime but it finally have out

Back